Performance implications of changing default resolution on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Jul 17, 2012.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi All,

I can't seem to get a decent answer on this. I have my new rMBP. I love it :D. However, my old MBP ran at 1680x1050, and that's the resolution I like. I turned the scaling up a notch in the settings, but some people have mentioned that this may cause graphic anomalies or performance degradation, due to the scaling that the GPU needs to do. Can anyone report back on this?

Thanks!

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

just the machine works a bit harder... unless your pushing it really hard you won't really notice. People on forums nitpick everything apart to the finest detail wether its noticeable to the end user or not.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Are there any negative side effects to this? Any weird graphical anomalies? I will definitely try for myself just checking out the knowledge base here :).

Typing this from my brand new nexus 7!!!!

5. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

There are no graphical anomalies intrinsic to running at the scaled modes (apart from an almost imperceptible blurring effect), but the graphics card is rendering to an astronomical resolution (in an offscreen buffer) before down-sampling to the rMBP's native resolution.

It is Apple themselves who state there will be a performance degradation in scaled-mode. For everyday use this is unlikely to impact you, but applications which make heavy use of the graphics card may be noticeably impacted.