Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I am hearing conflicting reports of performance issues with Leopard. Many people are claiming great speed, but some are saying not so good. I am also hearing a lot of claims that Expose and Spaces are sluggish. I think it would be helpful to have a running matrix of graphical and system speed, system specs, and the type of install method used to move to Leopard. It might help people make some more solid decisions about upgrading.

If you're willing, briefly rate Leopard:

General Performance
Expose/Spaces Performance
Mac Model
RAM
Instal Method

lilmoonee

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
15" MBP core duo 1.83ghz 2gb of ram 128mb ati x1600

General Performance: MUCH faster than tiger install (almost all apps open instantly) less page file swapping.

Expose/Spaces: Works well...spaces is smooth for the most part.

Install Method: Clean install with migration assistant from superduper backup for user profiles and apps.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
General Performance - Excellent. Noticeably faster and more responsive than 10.4
Expose/Spaces Performance - Not tried yet
Mac Model - Macbook, 13", 1.83GHz C2D
RAM - 2Gb
Install Method - Erase then clean install

General Performance - Excellent. Noticeably faster and more responsive than 10.4
Expose/Spaces Performance - Excellent
Mac Model - iMac, 24", 2.8GHz
RAM - 4Gb
Install Method - Erase then clean install

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I really don't want to have to reinstall my windows partition so what would be the best install for me?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Sorry, I must sound really stupid. So with achieve and install you get a clean install except that you can put your files back on since they are stored is that right?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Sorry, I must sound really stupid. So with achieve and install you get a clean install except that you can put your files back on since they are stored is that right?

From what I understand, Archive & Install archives the "system" part of your OS and installs a brand-spanking new one, yet leaves the /Users directory alone. So you are getting a fresh system...but with your files on it. I really don't see the reason of wiping everything off the computer, then do the long process of moving all your music and photos and reinstalling all your applications and putting in serial numbers and then downloading all the updates for all those applications. I mean, a full wipe is tantamount to a major system crash!

It's archive and install for me. I'm not going to spend all weekend just installing and installing.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Even a clean install won't delete my windows partition?

As I understand it, the only time the windows partition would be knocked out is if you go into the disk utility from the install cd and re-partition. None of the OSX Install options actually partition your hard drive. At worst they format the Mac Partition.

When my leopard arrives, I will be doing the same as you and im not worried in the slightest about my windows partition. Im sure the partition has more to worry about from windows itself than the installer cd :p:p:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.