performance issues on the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by codingmonkey, Oct 18, 2007.

1. codingmonkey macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get an iPod Touch but I noticed that it only comes with a 400 MHz processor while the iPhone comes with a 620 MHz (goes up to 700 MHz) processor. Do those 220 - 300 MHz make a big difference? Is the iPod Touch less responsive? I tried it out at a local Apple store and Safari took a while to load sites, but I was told that was because it had no batteries left (not sure if that BS or true, it did die after a few minutes though). So is Safari fine when the iPod is fully charged and a good network? How responsive are the third party apps?

Thanks!

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

im actually on my ipod touch right now. I dont have slow down issues but my ipod seems to run out of ram when listening to music and viewing multiple webpages. Its annoying because it causes glitch like pages spontaneously reloading, or my music quits playing.

Overall its a good device and now to many problems.

One thing to note: when a page is still loading but im entering text there will be noticable slow down in the kwyboard and its ability to predict words.

3. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Can someone verify that there is an actual difference in performance (computational) from the touch to the phone?

4. rbroady macrumors regular

just remember the iphone has to run the cell and edge on top of what the touch does

5. Pared macrumors 65816

Until we get performance software we won't be able to do that.

Perceived differences? None, really. The two feel exactly alike. Heck, the touch loads web pages faster. Ever so slightly.... but it's still faster.

The differences are negligible at best. Funny enough, my touch seems to run faster and smoother now that I have third party apps on there.... I wouldn't get the minimize animation when backing out of Safari often prior to jailbreak... now, I always get it. Same for other apps.

Go figure!

6. codingmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks everyone. Now I just have to wait until after the Leopard launch (to see if there are any important announcements) and then I'll be on my way to getting a Touch :D