Performance MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 vs MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qom, Feb 12, 2014.

1. qom macrumors member

Hello!

So I'm starting to get ready to upgrade my system. I've been eyeing the MacBook Air for some time now as I feel my current MacBook Pro just is too bulky and heavy.

I'm a bit curious how the latest fully loaded MacBook Air 13" i7 (and maybe a future Broadwell update, if you'd care to speculate) copes against my MacBook Pro with a i7 2.2GHz w 8GB ram from early 2011?

Will it be a huge downgrade?
    As far as I understand the rMPB 13" is roughly the same in performance as the 13" Air. I really don't wanna be stuck with 15" for another three years, even though the retina is much lighter and compact compared to my current machine.

2. awair, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

awair macrumors regular

I have the MBA 2013 (max) and also a late-2011 17" MBP i7 with 16GB Ram + SSD: I can't really tell the difference in practical terms.

If you have any specific tests or benchmarks, I may be able to report further?

BlackMagic (and others) report the SSD disk performance (of the MBA) as significantly superior, but practically this is not noticeable.

I prefer the screen size of the 17", but the convenience of the MBA for travel (even between rooms in the house).