Performance MBPr late 2013.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chouhen, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Chouhen macrumors newbie

Hello friends,

I'm about to buy a new MBPr, and I was wondering if the difference between the 2.4/2.6 i5s and the 2.8ghz i7 is large, in terms of computation. I am not buying the laptop for consistent hard work but I am looking to use MATLAB extensively on it. Casual gaming would also be lovely. (only indie titles) but I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations to make about what would suit my needs.

Thanks very much,
    Chouhen.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most people won't notice a difference between the i5 and i7, yet I think matlab is one of those apps that could benefit.

Since you're using a computationally intensive app, I'd go with the fastest CPU you can afford

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't think that would matter, because both the i5s and i7s in the 13" rMBPs have 2 cores and 4 threads. If I'm not mistaken, Matlab takes advantage of hyper threading (which wouldn't really be a difference between i5s and i7s in 13" rMBPs).

Now if it was between a desktop i5 and desktop i7 (both having 4 cores, but the i5 has 4 threads and the i7 has 8 threads), that's where the performance benefits come in from having the i7 (30-40% increase), mostly because of the extra threads in the i7.

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

For the dual core mobile chips used in the 13" rMBP, the i7 is maybe 5% faster than the i5. They are actually identical chips except the i7 has a slightly higher clock speed and 1MB additional cache. The laptop version of the i5 is basically just a dual-core i7 with less cache. The desktop i5 removes hyper threading support.
    Intel's product marketing sucks because they make it so confusing.

Bump up memory and SSD first, then select the faster processor if you have the budget.

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

personally I'd go for the 2.6Ghz i5-4288U. I just think it has the best performance/value ratio.
    Not only is it faster CPU wise than the 2.4 i5, but also has a 100Mhz faster GPU.

6. Chouhen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, these are some excellent and informative responses!:)

7. magnumpi macrumors member

I have the rMBP 13" base model with 8 GB RAM and I run Matlab/simulink without issues (power electronics engineer here). The CPU upgrade is too expensive to be worth it imo.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

One of the better values right now is $800 off on a new 15" rMBP 2.8/16/756 at MacMall. That makes if around $1000 less than the 2013 rMBP 2.6/16/1TB.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

That 15" is last years model.

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan