Performance: Mini vs rMBP vs iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KDR, Nov 24, 2012.

1. KDR macrumors regular

I have been using a 15" rMBP at work for a while now. I am running Parallels with dual monitors. One displaying the Mac OS and the other Windows. I am very happy with this setup and now I need to add another computer or two to the office.

Question: how will a maxed-out rMBP perform compared to a similarly equipped Mini? I don't use the retina display at work and use two 24" external monitors, so I am wondering if I can go with the mini and save a little.

Question 2: Does anyone know the best way to run dual monitors on a Mini and how that will compare to running two using mini display port on the rMBP? I am running office applications and don't need crazy graphics. I mainly like these machines because I have gotten spoiled with the speed of the SSDs.

Question 3: How much faster will the new iMac be compared to the prior two. As with the rMBP, my inclination is to stay away from the Apple displays. I don't need retina in the office and I feel that two 24" monitors are way better for my office apps than a single 27" or larger display.

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

With the mini, you will need to use the HDMI output and the Thunderbolt/Mini displayport to drive the two external monitors. It should work just fine. I have an HDMI-DVI adapter on mine and drive two DVI monitors on occasion.

I would think the high end mini should perform very similar to what you have with the exception of graphics, assuming you get it with an SSD.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can daisy chain two thunderbolt displays together.