Performance Mouse MX or Wireless Gaming mouse G700?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jlmcclellan, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jlmcclellan macrumors member

I need a new mouse for my MBA, but not sure if I should go for the Performance Mouse or the Gaming Mouse by Logitech. They're both about the same price on Amazon. I do a little bit of gaming (very rarely WoW and occasional Diablo 3 & SC2) but will also be using the mouse throughout the work day (I'm a freelance web developer). Anybody have experience with one or both of these mice?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...TF8&colid=1SF8P5YLXD1BR&coliid=I10W6DYQ0YW74R

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...UTF8&colid=1SF8P5YLXD1BR&coliid=IN96ACBQU62VU

2. mslide macrumors 6502a

I have both. I use a G700 at home and a Performance MX at work. They are both really good mice. Comfort-wise, the Performance MX definitely wins. It's larger, fits my hand better and feels nicer. If I didn't care about gaming, I'd be using an MX at home.

What it really comes down to is how much of a gamer you are and will you take advantage of the G700's advantages in that area. The extra buttons is one big advantage that I make use of. Having four buttons on the thumb and those 3 extra buttons next to the left mouse button are really handy. You'll have to decide if you care about that stuff.

The MX can also track on more surfaces (e.g. glass), not that I care about that.

Keep in mind OSX support. The Performance MX is fully supported on OSX while the G700 is not. I use a Windows PC for gaming, so that doesn't matter to me. You can still use the G700 with OSX, it's just not as easy to program. To be honest, I've never tried it so you might want to do more research there. If you can program it on Windows, that's probably one option (the settings are stored in the mouse). I think there are OSX programs that might also allow you to program the buttons.

3. iamsen47 macrumors regular

My work mouse (old MS Arc) blew up so I considered getting the Performance MX too after reading several reviews and recommendations, but was really put off by the price. And also because I'm not a gamer. And I can't stand all those extra buttons.

I ended up getting the Touch, because I use the MX Air at home and I like Logitech's implementation of the touch scroll. Been using it for a week now and despite all the unfavourable reviews, I love the simplicity of it.

If you want something mobile you can carry around with the Air, this is definitely it. The other two have too much bulk.