Performance: new 15 vs new 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexm13, Oct 17, 2008.

1. alexm13 macrumors member

I am looking at purchasing the new 17 mbp, but I cant seem to find any specs on how the overall performance is compared to the new 15. I will be primarily using it for video editing (FCP & AE). I know the graphics card is better in the 15, is the 17 still comparative? Is there a HUDGE difference? Or would it just be worth the wait for the next 17, even though I am not too crazy about the new case design?

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The new 15" is much better. There GPU in the 17" is defective and I wouldn't risk using it without AppleCare. It can't go beyond a 2.6ghz processor, while the 15" can go up to 2.8, it has a slower FSB, and only DDR2 RAM.

The 17" is a joke right now. If you absolutely need a larger screen and/or matte display, save the $ and get a 15" and an external monitor.

3. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I don't know, I've read that there is a Rev. 2 of the 8600 GPU so it's most likely not defective. I doubt Apple would knowingly put a faulty part in an updated machine (I was told these 17"'s were recently built) and the screen on the 17" is gorgeous!

Also with the 17" you get a DVI port, no hunting for an adaptor that you'd probably have to order from Apple ($29) to use an external monitor plus you get a FW400 Port, which for me is important (yeah I guess I could spend $75 for nan FW400 ExpressCard)

That being said I'm torn between the 17" and the new 15".

4. alexm13 thread starter macrumors member

I keep leaning towards the 17, but I am just afraid there's going to be an update in the next couple months, how possible its that?

5. blurfonz macrumors regular

Most likely there will be an update for the 17 inch soon

6. Jatku macrumors member

Didn't they say that they're working on that right now to be released in the next few months? Maybe it was just something I read in the forums.

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

There probably will be an update on the 17"s to bring them in uniform with the new 15"s, I'd guess by January.

However, my fear is that it will be skimpy on ports like the 15" is and most likely will have the mini-displayport option for using an external monitor. Both of those things are keeping me from getting too excited about the new design.

I'm kind of leaning towards the current 17" as well.

8. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

the T9500 processor (2.6GHz used in the mbp) has the same ram, and only a couple hundred MHz less in the FSB as the T9600 processor (your overly enthused 2.8GHz). In fact, your bottom line montevina chip isnt much of a stretch compaired to that penryn chip. its not until AFTER your processor model, that montevina is worth anything.
    in my opinion, the new 15" MBP is as much of a "joke" as the older models (minus the graphics card).

To the OP:
    the 17" macbook pro's havent been updated yet, but are said to be in the works.
    Looking at everything apple has done in the past, the 17" model will offer something more than the 15" if you are willing to spend the money.
    This means that there is nothing to compare here yet.

now if you are talking about the new redesigned mbp, vs. the old 17" mbp, the only MAJOR change inside, to me is the graphics card. the cpu isnt even much of an update. i dont see any reason to get excited over the processors till the nehalem chipset.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod