performance of 13" MBA Haswell vs current 13" rMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aross99, Jun 10, 2013.

1. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I like the rMBP, and I can't wait months for the Haswell upgrade.

Just wondering how the CPU performance of the new 13" MBA Haswell 1.3/i5 will compare to the 2.6 i5 rMBP.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. messiry macrumors member

i am in the same boat, confused between 13" rMBP and the new 13" MBA,,, i cant wait another 3 or 4 months for a new rMBP.. i also dont do any video, i am just heavy MS office user. is the MBA display that bad?

3. jmcube macrumors member

In my thread I have current MBP versus recent MBA. From the look of things, I think the new i7 MBA might be better than everything but the i7 rMBP.

I don't think the MBA display is bad, it is better than the cMBP.

It is just not the amazing retina display.

Jon

4. aross99 thread starter macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm starting to think that the current rMBP is comparable performance wise to the new MBA - at least i5 to i5 and i7 to i7...

I decided to go with he current rMBP. I found a decent discount and with i5/2.6/8GB/256GB configurations there was only about $150 difference in price.

I just hope I won't lose too much performance with the current version rMBP compared to the new one when it comes out.

The sleeper deal right now seems to be the i7/2.9/8GB/256GB config of last years rMBP. It's only $50 more than the i5/2.6. Had I noticed that before I bought mine, I might have gone that way...

If they drop the price of the new rMBP $100 like they did with the new MBA's, that would certainly be a step in the right direction. Not being able to upgrade the memory at all, and questionable upgrades to the SSD means you need to buy a loaded config upfront...

Anyway - I'm sure I will be happy with the new machine - you can't win the computer upgrade game...

5. techn0lady macrumors regular

There is a LOT more going on with the 2013 models than just the Haswell chipset. Haswell will give you more of a power savings than speed however the new MBAa use significantly faster SSDd and disk interfaces than anything available in 2012 on any model. Additionally the memory on the 2013's runs at a faster speed plus 1.3 speed on a Haswell is not the same speed as a 1.3 on older chipsets as Haswell architecture runs overall at a faster speed and the cpu architecture and pipeline is faster overall - so a 1.3 haswell will be faster than an 1.3 Ivy Bridge.

Also the 1.3 MBA actually runs at 2.6 when needed. People are getting hung up on the lower end power saving side of the spectrum and completely forgetting the upper end actual max processor speed which kicks in as necessare.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

What do you intend doing on the machine? CPU power could be irrelevant if you are not doing anything intensive.