Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentsim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Any performance increase in the 512 SSD's used?

I am debating between the Air in base model+16gb ram or the 512model with 16gb ram. Price difference is almost 400CAD though.

Reactions: ascender

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Larger drives typically have faster read and write speeds. That's definitely a factor of performance.
Very true - though I'm super curious just what specific real world workflow would show a truly discernible difference in user experience given the speeds of these things.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
It'll be a choice between realy fast and really really fast.

I don't know what you do with your Mac, but 256GB isnt much storage. It was the first limit I hit with my (2012) MBA. Remeber it cant be upgraded later. At least wit my MBA I was able to put in a 256GB SD Card.

512GB is probably worth it not so much for speed, but for space/future proofing. But you will now your usage better than me!

Reactions: gmwalk

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
It'll be a choice between realy fast and really really fast.

I don't know what you do with your Mac, but 256GB isnt much storage. It was the first limit I hit with my (2012) MBA. Remeber it cant be upgraded later. At least wit my MBA I was able to put in a 256GB SD Card.

512GB is probably worth it not so much for speed, but for space/future proofing. But you will now your usage better than me!
It’s way cheaper to add an external SSD drive than it is to give Apple 200 dollars for an extra measly 256 gb of storage. A 1 TB SSD USB C drive is 129.

Reactions: bxs

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It’s way cheaper to add an external SSD drive than it is to give Apple 200 dollars for an extra measly 256 gb of storage. A 1 TB SSD USB C drive is 129.
... and it's an inconvenient pain in the petute for any stuff you regularly access while away from your desk.

Then it's a matter of what price one is willing to pay for convenience.

Reactions: revs

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
... and it's an inconvenient pain in the petute for any stuff you regularly access while away from your desk.

Then it's a matter of what price one is willing to pay for convenience.
A removable drive is convenience. I can use mine literally on any mac I own (or don't own). That's far more convenient than overpaying for storage that's limited to just one mac.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
A removable drive is convenience. I can use mine literally on any mac I own (or don't own). That's far more convenient than overpaying for storage that's limited to just one mac.
Different strokes for different folks, truly. I transitioned my workflow to being almost entirely external-based when external SSDs became cheap enough, and haven't looked back. Also makes switching computers (as I do often) much easier. For some people, though, internal storage is just going to be much more convenient - especially when dealing with a machine that only has two ports.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Different strokes for different folks, truly. I transitioned my workflow to being almost entirely external-based when external SSDs became cheap enough, and haven't looked back. Also makes switching computers (as I do often) much easier. For some people, though, internal storage is just going to be much more convenient - especially when dealing with a machine that only has two ports.
Wouldn't Apple's Cloud storage option be better in that case then? Also still cheaper than 500+ dollars to bump up to 1TB internal storage.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Larger SSD's typically have faster read/write speeds

For storage I went with what I consider the sweet spot for each, iPhone 12 mini 128GB, iPad Pro 256GB, and M1 Mac mini 1TB.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For some people, though, internal storage is just going to be much more convenient - especially when dealing with a machine that only has two ports.
It also has a great deal to do with where you're using the system.

Externals aren't a big deal sitting at a table or desk. They become far less convenient if you spend much time working with the laptop actually sitting in your lap in an airport/aircraft/bus/taxi/etc. :p

End of the day it's a cost / use-case / convenience tradeoff with the "best" solution being different for different folks.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
It also has a great deal to do with where you're using the system.

Externals aren't a big deal sitting at a table or desk. They become far less convenient if you spend much time working with the laptop actually sitting in your lap in an airport/aircraft/bus/taxi/etc. :p

End of the day it's a cost / use-case / convenience tradeoff with the "best" solution being different for different folks.
Absolutely agreed. It all comes down to your use case.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I think it fairly unlikely that in real world use much if any difference will be perceivable between the 256GB and 512GB SSDs, even if the latter are in fact faster, so really this is a straight choice about how much storage is desired.

I have found with SSDs that beyond a certain point it's other bottlenecks that seem to bite before the maximum transfer rate, unless you are regularly copying vast amounts of data to or from the SSD (although in that case I have found thermal throttling to be an issue so peak performance can drop off quite quickly).

As for which is the right choice, that's absolutely personal preference. Personally I go for as much on-board storage as I can afford, because I prefer to always have my stuff on me and not just in the cloud or on an external drive. I personally cannot conceive of having 256GB storage in a laptop costing four figures and cannot believe Apple still has it as their base configuration, but clearly others manage just fine on that.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wouldn't Apple's Cloud storage option be better in that case then? Also still cheaper than 500+ dollars to bump up to 1TB internal storage.
I regularly use my Macs for five years. A larger internal drive is much cheaper than the cost of more iCloud storage AND and increased monthly cost of the faster home internet required to make using cloud storage useful as a drive replacement. Plus, cloud storage is useless as a Photoshop scratch disk.

JeepGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Barrie
As for which is the right choice, that's absolutely personal preference. Personally I go for as much on-board storage as I can afford, because I prefer to always have my stuff on me and not just in the cloud or on an external drive. I personally cannot conceive of having 256GB storage in a laptop costing four figures and cannot believe Apple still has it as their base configuration, but clearly others manage just fine on that.
I agree, I'm a hoarder and like having all my stuff with me. It can be a hard pill to swallow with apple pricing, when you consider how cheap SSD's have become, it's my biggest gripe with apple Ram/SSD pricing, and the fact that they are not upgradable.

Reactions: calstanford

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Presumably the trade-off (between storage and portability) is different for someone who's getting a Mac Mini.

I'm leaning towards thinking that a Mini with 256GB attached to an external SSD would make more sense than paying Apple's extortionate rates for memory.

Reactions: torncanvas

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Presumably the trade-off (between storage and portability) is different for someone who's getting a Mac Mini.

I'm leaning towards thinking that a Mini with 256GB attached to an external SSD would make more sense than paying Apple's extortionate rates for memory.
True, there's more flexibility with a largely stationary computer.

Still, consider what you're doing and how fast you need to access that data. External SSDs approaching the speed of the internal SSD start to get expensive... Slower speeds of course are less expensive.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I saw a Mini M1 teardown and it had two SSD chips in different sizes. I was wondering if it was to partition page/swap on the smaller SSD and most data on the larger one.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Any performance increase in the 512 SSD's used?

I am debating between the Air in base model+16gb ram or the 512model with 16gb ram. Price difference is almost 400CAD though.
You are also getting one less GPU core on the 256 vs. the 512GB model. I’m guessing the 7 GPU core M1 chips were found through binning (M1s that failed some check had a GPU core disabled). Maybe they failed under thermal load but did not fail when a GPU core was disabled, thus reducing thermal levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.