Performance of new MBP line with better GPU management compared to last

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jul 13, 2010.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I own last years Macbook Pro 17" and have the opportunity to upgrade pretty much for free to the new setup with i7 and faster graphics card as well as automatic switching to the discrete (&faster) GPU. I wonder if this will positively affect some every day tasks where my current setup is annoyingly lagging, especially when I use my external 30" monitor. In particular when using iPhoto or watching movies on the external display, there is often a huge lag, and in iPhoto sometimes the setup freezes for several tens of seconds before advancing to the next photo. Also the screensaver really has problems when both the external and internal display are driven, to the extent that it usually freezes completely after a few minutes. Would all this work better with the new laptop, and if so, mainly thanks to just the faster processor or also because of the different GPU management?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

you shouldn't have any of those problems on your machine. it isn't slow or old by any means.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's something probably wrong with your current MacBook Pro. I do some of things you do on a 46" LCD (if that matters) on the base 15.4" MacBook Pro and I don't run into any of your problems.

4. achtung! macrumors regular

if you have problems with your current machine and if you can "upgrade pretty much for free", i don't see why you open a thread for this! upgrade, FGS! :p

cheers

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guys. I am just really hoping to not experience the problems I have currently with the new computer. It's just really annoying to have Apple's top model from last year and it being unusable in many every day situations.

6. elleana macrumors regular

When you say pretty much for free, are there absolutely no strings attached? If so, what on earth are you waiting for??? :confused: