Performance of penryn vs last year's model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elgrecomac, Feb 28, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

On Appleinsider today I noticed the benchmark tests for a 2.5 GHz penryn vs. last year's model with a 2.6 GHz processor. Guess what? Last year's model out-performed the penryn in all tests except a memory test where their numbers were quite close. Where was the big boost in performance expected by the hundreds of you who wrote threads last year and this year? And now I'm seeing 'wait 'til June for the big change in laptops". Here we go, again....

The bottom line is I am quite happy with my 2.6 Ghz 17 inch model and my case of 'new mac envy' has been squelched. :D

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

On the overall test, it only score 17 points higher. It wasn't like there was a world of difference. Also, that was 2.5 to last years 2.6. That means last year's model BARELY beat a slower processor.

That means the people who are buying the computer now are saving money, getting a more efficient processor, AND getting multitouch! I'd like to see this years 2.6 vs last years 2.6

3. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Ok..

I rarely use the touch pad so its not a big deal to me. The only thing that is interesting is battery life which may be significantly longer otherwise....it seems not worth the wait.

:cool:

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Once again, comparing last year's top end to this year's mid level. What if you had the 2008 2.6? :)

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

or the 2009?:D
    aahh.. the comparing of sizes goes on and on!

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

In other news, an alligator lost to Godzilla in a fight.

Sounds like someone's trying to justify themselves. :)

7. tanjacob macrumors member

No regrets. Prices for MBPs in Singapore were slashed by about 9% for equivalent models (Penryn mid-end vs. last year's mid-end, etc.) so even if the performance is about the same I get other perks like bigger HDD, more VRAM, etc and I'm happy.

8. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Very interesting...

9. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

in my real usage (unscientific) tests last years 2.4 ghtz with 4GB ram was slower than the new 2.5 ghtz with only 2GB ram...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=444324

I think the speed increases between 2.4 > 2.5 > 2.6 are so insignificant between the models that it shouldn't sway your buying decision. Rather get a new one if you want to have the latest model, have Multi-Touch, get a cooler running laptop, increase you're re-sale value, or be prepared for SSE4.1 applications (I'm sure thats where the performance benefits come into play).