Performance of windows programs on Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kayakphotos, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Kayakphotos macrumors member

Kayakphotos

I am wanting to switch from a windows based laptop to an iMac. My main use for this machine would be for photo editing RAW images (amateur photographer) in photoshop cs5. As some of you may know, photoshop is expensive software so I am trying to avoid buying the software again. I am not familiar with windows performance on a Mac and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to fully take advantage of the apple hardware when running the PC version via boot camp.

A few questions
    Does the windows version of photoshop run similar on a Mac to the Mac version?

would I be better off going with the Mac version? (I am eligible for student pricing)

Is the Mac version of office similar enough that I could get by with that?

Would it be better to buy the Mac version of my windows programs (only 2 or 3) or purchase windows 7 for boot camp?

2. colday macrumors member

colday

When I switched a few years ago, I called Adobe & was able to switch from PC to Mac for the price of shipping. I would strongly suggest calling them!

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Everythings runs pretty much the same, if not better, when running Windows via bootcamp than even a windows PC. You should be fine with bootcamp. Hell, AutoCAD runs better on my MBP via bootcamp than my desktop PC.

I would get the Mac version simply because adobe software is such a breeze on the mac.

4. blanka macrumors 68000

I know it depends on the school, but here I get full CS 6 suite for 30€. Even as a student I could skip one week out with 10 beers for that.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

My MBP is the best windows laptop I have ever owned.

6. Kayakphotos thread starter macrumors member

Kayakphotos

Thanks for the tip of calling adobe. I am not really tied to windows so I might not even bother if I can get away with just OSX.

It also helps that I can't stand windows 8 on a desktop.

7. sjz88 macrumors member

From my experience Windows runs smoother on a Mac than on any PC. So you should be fine Even though I'd prefer OS X a 1000 times over Win