Performance or Portability?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emoh, Feb 27, 2011.

  1. emoh macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #1
    I am torn between the MBA BTO to highest specs and MBP 15" 2.2GHz QCi7.

    Basically, I used my penryn version MBP 15" for work and home use.

    Usage:
    1. Workfront :
    MS office suite
    Parallels for Siebel usage (crappy corp don't use salesforce.com)

    2. Homefront:
    Adobe CS5
    Adobe lightroom
    Internet/flickr/forum/blogging
    MEDIA conversion to iPad/iPhone screening
    Video editing

    I love the big anti-glare screen on 15" and easy on the eyes for photo PP.
    But I've been lugging a 15" for 3 years and it would be superb for dropping the weight if I go for MBA and iPad daily. (am a lady btw ^_*)

    So should I:
    A. Buy the MBP 15" and get the performance for my needs

    B. Buy the MBA 13" and get the portability, while hoping I save enough for Ivy Bridge in 2012

    c. Wait for Ivy Bridge and hope apple change of form factor and lightweight enough for MBP.
     
  2. C1raider macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #2
    with your application I wouldn't move to the air. If youre not satisfied with your current rig than move to the 2011 mbp 15. I would probably wait until the next refresh if I was you
     
  3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
  4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #4
    A.

    Reason is because it will give you the performance you ask of it, and then some. When the redesign of a MBA comes out with Thunderbolt, and a Quad Core processor you can always sell the 15" and migrate over to the new MBA.
     
  5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
  6. FYDave macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #6
    I guess the best place to start is whether or not you feel that you're in need of an upgrade? If not then I would just immediately suggest option C.

    If you do feel like you're in need of an upgrade, would you be alright with the additional time different processes like conversion would take on the MBA versus the MBP?

    On a day to day basis for activities such as blogging, browsing the internet, checking email, and creating text documents the MBA would probably actually "feel" faster because of the SSD.

    However, when things such as Adobe CS5 and media conversion, the MBP would take the lead by a pretty wide margin.

    I suppose as far as which one you would go with you would really need to take a look at how often you're using these media conversion and photo/video editing applications. Also, as I mentioned earlier, would you be able to live with the MBA taking longer to finish media conversion and photo/video editing.

    Hope that helped and feel free to shoot me any more questions if you have any!
     
  7. emoh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #8
    Thanks guys! Hmmm ... More likely will choose a. getting the 2.2GHz standard specs. Will upgrade the ram and maybe buy a SSD when the vertex3 is out. ^_^

    The current penryn MBP battery life is too short and HDD is 95% filled too.
     

Share This Page