Performance problems on new WD disk in MBP (extremely slow)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenfjord, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mortenfjord macrumors newbie

Hello

I just bought a new WD Scorpio Blue 650 gig disk for my MacBook Pro 13,3". I cloned my existing disk using Carbon Copy Cloner with the new WD disk attached via USB (in an enclouser).
    But when I booted on the new WD disk (now inside the MBP), the system is very slow and often halts. I then erased the disk and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, but same result (in fact it took more than 2,5 hours to compleet the install).
    I checked the disk, ram and everything with TechTools Pro 5, and found no errors. Any ideas of what is the source of my problem?

/Morten

2. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Something does seem wrong. With that machine SL shouldn't take 2.5 hours. What type of erase did you do? I'd do another erase with the zero out data option. It will take a good hour or more but it will give you the freshest start.

Reinstall SL and if it takes the same amount of time then send the drive back for a replacement as it is likely to be bad.

4. mortenfjord thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm running 1.7, should I update to 1.8 ?
    I'm currently deleting the drive again (this time with Nulls).

/Morten

5. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I don't think there is a 1.8 update for the 13". The solution would be to downgrade to 1.6. The File and instructions are somewhere in that thread...
    Found it. It worked for me, be sure to have the MacBook Pro connected to the power plug.