Performance questions - 2016 vs 2017, 13-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andy9l, Jun 27, 2017.

1. andy9l macrumors 68000

Hi all,

I'm planning to pick up a MBP. It will be my primary Mac, moving away from a combination of a 1.1GHz rMB and near-maxed 5K iMac. Reason being, my 5K has been replaced by a custom built Windows rig, and I need more grunt than my little rMB delivers for my macOS needs. Specifically when using a 4K screen, my rMB really starts to struggle.

I was set on picking up a 2016 refurb, hovering the 'Buy now' button until doing some last second research. I've seen that benchmarks of the 2017 models (specifically 13") are showing a huge 20-40% performance improvement over the 2016 models.

Questions:

1. I'd like to hear from some users of the 2016 13" MBP who use 4K+ screens with their MBP. How does it perform?

2. Also, is anyone with better technical understandings than myself able to shed some light on why the Kabylake performance bump is so massive?

I watched this comparison and the 2017 model seems to massively outperform in nearly every scenario. I'm a bit surprised by this - it doesn't make business sense for Intel or Apple to bump performance if they cannot match or beat that bump with the next gen.

Cheers.

2. Seekingshred macrumors member

I have the same question here maybe someone can share an opinion? I got the same question and I focus on the question 2016 16gb ram vs 2017 8 gb ram. As Andy mentioned I read that there is indeed improvement overall but I don't know if this 15pc bump can outperform the 16gb ram of 2016. Specifically I'm talking about editing 4k videos from gopro.