Performance rating of 1.0 in Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BayouBengal, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I am using Parallels to run Vista Ultimate. The performance rating that Vista is giving me is 1.0 due to 3D capabilities. I have the 2.4Ghz Alu Macbook, I know it's not the most powerful video card in the world but shouldn't it get a higher rating than 1.0? Any tips for squeezing out some performance other than buying more RAM and upping the allocation in Parallels?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you get the right drivers? The same thing happened with my MacBook Pro and 64-bit Ultimate until I got different drivers.

Now it reads 5.9... for the 8600M GT. I have no complaints. :D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You get 5.9 when Windows is virtualised?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tanj in torment... didn't see the word 'Parallels'... No, that's in Boot Camp. Sorry.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The 'Video Card' that parallels emulates to the host operating system is a really basic type of card. Also since it is emulated, it clearly isn't as powerful as a native run system.

The emulated video card is the same card no matter the system it is run on (apart from the video memory you can dedicate).

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thought so ;)

As sammich just said, virtualised video cards are crap. If you want the power of your video card you need to use bootcamp.

7. BayouBengal thread starter macrumors regular

I knew an emulated card wouldn't be as good as native but I was just surprised at the disparity in the rating. Previously all I'd ever used a virtual machine for was Visual Studio and SQL Server, not exactly graphically intense.

At least in Windows when using Microsoft Virtual PC it is recommended you run the virtual machine from an external drive to optimize performance. If any of this valid with Parallels?

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No, running it off an external drive would be worse in performance, not better. Why would you care for Vista's index rating? That rating doesn't do much at all. Its just for show.

9. BayouBengal thread starter macrumors regular

It is actually recommended by many to run virtual machines from an external drive using USB 2.0 as opposed to running your virtual machine from the same physical disk as your host OS. It has to do with your host and you Virtual Machine competing for the same I/O resources.