Performance Related Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hitnrun7, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. hitnrun7 Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #1
    This is my FIRST post on macrumors, although im a long time reader.

    Anyway, i own a mac mini the current low end version no upgrades just as is. It has served me well for quite a while now, but the hard drive space as well as the speed of the CPU, the amount of RAM, and the lack of a dedicated video card are stating to get to me (i must apologize for the horrible grammar in that sentence) . I feel i need more power, and the mobility would be great, not having to be tethered to a desk would be a dream to me (if you can't tell i have never owned a laptop...).

    Now enough of my life story... I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro, and am concerned about the eventual upgrade (did you just loose all interest?). My concern is that the upgrade will bring about significant performance increases, that would cause me to "kick" myself over.

    Now for some more important info.

    Uses:

    Every day tasks
    Creative tasks (CS3, :apple:ProTools, etc)
    Wouldn't mind playing a game or two through boot camp

    Im going to be purchasing the mid-range MBP, and i will be able to purchase it by the end of july.

    My questions to you:

    1) worth waiting for upgrade (mac mini is killing me :eek:)
    2) Your opinions of the MBP
    3) do you want to kill me for asking an upgrade question

    Thank you for your replies, and i apologize for the length of this post...
     
  2. hitnrun7 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #2
    before i forget...

    Before i forget... I will be hooking this up to a 19in monitor, and using it as my main computer. For those that didn't figure it out in my original post, im getting the 15.4 inch base configuration.

    If it matters im Canadian.
     
  3. kalex macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #3
    If you keep waiting for upgrades, you will never stop waiting. Upgrades are always happening and there is no way to avoid them. If you need all those things you listed now, then get MBP now and don't wait. if you want to procrastinate then by all means, sit tight and wait for apple to upgrade it. Apple already did a minor refresh not too long ago on MBP, when is the full upgrade going to happen is anybody's guess.

    Current MBP will handle all your requirements without any issues. If you are fine with carrying 15.4" laptop with you, then get it and you'll be happy. If not then you might consider macbook, which is smaller but weighs almost the same.
     
  4. hitnrun7 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #4
    the macbook would basically be pointless for me, its just slightly better than my mini.

    As for the upgrade i mentioned, i didnt mean the redesign, i just meant a minor refresh\bump.
     
  5. hitnrun7 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #5
    decision made...

    well after having read through some other forum posts both on macrumors and other forums, i have come to the conclusion that if they don't update it by the end of july, i will buy.
     
  6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Probably the best decision for you, especially if your Mini is no longer up to the task. Conventional wisdom says that you should buy when you need. Sounds like you need now, so buy.

    The current MBP is a great machine, and will be no less great even if Apple releases something new.
     
  7. hitnrun7 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #7
    Thanks to everyone that replied.

    As i previously stated, i have come to the conclusion that i will buy a MBP at the end of july, updated or not. My Mac mini is just not capable or handling Logic Studio (well at least at a desirable speed, more specifically mainstage).

    Once again, thank you.
     

Share This Page