Performance Results: Old 2.4Ghz vs. New 2.0Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brettinlj, Oct 16, 2008.

1. brettinlj macrumors member

Looking at another thread on this board discussing Geekbench results, I went to Geekbench and searched through some old results of the Macbook 2.4Ghz with 2GB of RAM, new new one, and the new 2.0Ghz Macbook. Here is the summary:

Old Macbook 2.4Ghz ($1099 refurbished, black):
    Average of 3100 (+/- 50)

New Macbook 2.4Ghz ($1600)
    Average of 3100 (+100 / -50)

New Macbook 2.0Ghz ($1300)
    Average of 2700 (+50 / -25)

Basically, around 15% performance gain for the 2.4Ghz (at a 23% price premium, that may even out when you take into account the larger hard drive and backlit keyboard). Also, based on these numbers, it seems that 3D graphics performance is not a big part of the Geekbench test. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am still going back and forth between a refurb blackbook and the 2.0 macbook. I'll see it on person this weekend and see if the non-performance features make it worth the extra money.

2. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

quit interesting, i currently have the 2.4 older white macbooks, but am looking into upgrading to the new 2.4. Only cannot justify upgrading just for the new case, new trackpad. The more graphic capable chip doesnt affect me much not being a big gamer, nor does the extra HD space having an external hard-drive. My biggest sell is the faster speeds which the 2.53 Pro mac suit me better with 4 GB ram..

Sorry for the rambling just not sure what to do with the new options..

thanks for this info..

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Remember though, thats 15% in CPU intensive stuff :) For normal usege the difference will be less :)

4. brettinlj thread starter macrumors member