Performance Sacrifice (if noticeable) Worth All the JB'ing Features?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RedPwnerRanger, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RedPwnerRanger macrumors member

I'm aware of all the awesome features that can be reaped from jailbreaking, and I want them, of course, but I'm worried the performance sacrifices (particularly speed and battery life) that will be/potentially be made won't make my JB'ing experience to my better liking.

So my question is: Is there a noticeable drop in speed and/or battery life after JB'ing your iPhone, even over an extended period of time of having it JB'd?

I JB'd my iPhone 3G I had a while ago, but the speed and battery life were murdered, and I ended up restoring it and undoing the JB.

I've got a 16G iPhone 4 now, and I'm curious as to whether or not the speed and battery life effects are noticeable on this, too. Thanks :D

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

There is no performance sacrifice on the iPhone 4.

3. simplydat macrumors member

Second that.

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'll caveat that, it still depends entirely on what you do with the JB. if you pack your phone full of silly mods and features that nobody needs, then yes you might see some performance drop.

5. Los macrumors regular

I have Winterboard with various themes turned on, SBSettings Running, biteSMS, SMS GV Extension, Cyntact, Notifications Turned On, I usually use 3G and not Wi-Fi, and my battery life is still GREAT.

Not only that, but I'm starting to have Lossless music on my iPhone 4. :p

6. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I havnt noticed any battery issues at all
    Intact my battery is fantastic

I'm quite a heavy user too

7. milamber macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've found that winterboard drains performance and battery life quick when I used to use it. But I grew up and didn't really find that part of the jailbreak appealing to me.

I use a lot of other tweaks and mods and found no noticeable change in battery or performance. In fact, my battery lasts longer because of easily accessible settings on SBSettings

8. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Yes I also got issues on my 3G but on the iPhone 4 it's like it doesn't even know it was jailbroken :D

9. The Highlander macrumors 6502

Most people don't notice them because a little performance decrement doesn't bother them... But.. I do notice the performance difference... Specially when you start getting low in memory.

I do have 2 I4s... and you can notice after one has all the jb apps that you commonly use, the non jailbroken is much faster.

10. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

The jailbreak itself causes no performance/battery life decrease, it's all about what you install and use afterwards.

Just like regular app store apps, different cydia apps/tweaks will use up power at different rates.

11. jplusc macrumors 6502a

with the iphone 4 its not so much performance as it is stability. I have personally found that once witerboard goes on and I start installing themes that my stability can take a hit. Without winterboard and sticking with well known tweaks though I have not had problems.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ what everybody else said. jb isn't foe everybody you can always try it then go back. it's not like it's permanent. I will also through a big thumbs up out there for Google searches and MRGoogle. ;)

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I have a newer 32gig 3GS and I seem to notice a slowdown right after breaking and installing Winterboard. At that point, a theme or two, but no mods otherwise... Things seem to hesitate couple seconds (opening folders seems to take longer).

Might just be me though. :p