• Lion is minimally/moderately faster

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Can't notice a difference

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • Lion is minimally/moderately slower

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Lion is significantly slower

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • At things are faster... but other things are definitely slower...

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I haven't upgraded yet.. so I wanna know!

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Overall, Lion does seem to be a bit quicker at loading applications and whatnot, especially in Safari and iTunes.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
so it appears that so far performance differences are mostly negligible... but is more likely to improve than to degrade performance.

would it be possible that some processors improve more than others? Like maybe Lion is built better for i5 and i7 rather than Core 2 duo?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Minimally faster indeed. I’m really surprised how well it performs on my Mini with 8 GB of RAM. I really feared it would hog the whole system. 8 GB of ram is a must, thug, to see the system fly.

dog24

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Estonia
Shutting down and booting up is way slower, but opening mail, itunes etc is like 3-4 times faster for me.

mac1984user

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Shutting down and booting up is way slower, but opening mail, itunes etc is like 3-4 times faster for me.
I agree with this. It's the same general experience I've had. In terms of everything else, I don't see much of a change. Lion hogs more RAM, though. However, it seems to be smart depending on what system it's running on. I have 8GB of RAM in my 2011 MBP and it eats up 3GB using Safari, iTunes, and Word. With the same apps open on my 2009 Mac Mini, which only has 4GB of RAM the system only uses about 1.6GB while running the same programs. Go figure. I suppose it uses more RAM when it thinks it can.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I am on a 2007 MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2gb Ram

For me the Apps mostly seem a lot more responsive

on SL, I got quite a few beachballs while loading up Apps, checked permissions and drive for erros but couldn't get rid of them)

only seen perhaps a couple of beachballs since upgrading on Thursday

currently sitting at 57 degrees C, Fan at 1794rpm and 400meg ram free

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Minimally faster indeed. I’m really surprised how well it performs on my Mini with 8 GB of RAM. I really feared it would hog the whole system. 8 GB of ram is a must, thug, to see the system fly.
I only have 4GB in my C2D 13" MBP and it runs Lion like a champ. I'm rarely, if ever, using the whole 4GB I have, so I'm pretty sure that I don't need 8 right now.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I am on a 2007 MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2gb Ram

For me the Apps mostly seem a lot more responsive

on SL, I got quite a few beachballs while loading up Apps, checked permissions and drive for erros but couldn't get rid of them)

only seen perhaps a couple of beachballs since upgrading on Thursday

currently sitting at 57 degrees C, Fan at 1794rpm and 400meg ram free
Well that is Good news for me, cause I have basically the same thing, except I upgraded to 4gb of ram. So I shouldn't have any issues

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Well that is Good news for me, cause I have basically the same thing, except I upgraded to 4gb of ram. So I shouldn't have any issues
should be fine, do you use any big apps (audio, video, photography)

the only problem I have is with Aperture, it was really slow in Snow Leopard, and is even worse for me in Lion

But I switched to Lightroom about 3 months ago and that is still fine under Lion (wanted to move back to Aperture, but not an option)

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
should be fine, do you use any big apps (audio, video, photography)

the only problem I have is with Aperture, it was really slow in Snow Leopard, and is even worse for me in Lion

But I switched to Lightroom about 3 months ago and that is still fine under Lion (wanted to move back to Aperture, but not an option)
Yes actually my wife uses lightroom. So I'm glad to hear that works well. We had considered going aperture but it looks like we made the right decision with lightroom.

We also have photoshop, but don't really use it much. Just for the occasional few edits (particularly the content aware delete)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.