Performance Testing Your MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rocknpop, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

I feel my MacBook (MB403LL/A, 2.4Ghz Core2Due, 4GB RAM) takes too long to boot (close to 30-35 seconds).

Is there a standard out there or a comparison chart?? How do I know if my mac has issues?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

35 seconds isn't really a problem, is it? Try using a Windows machine daily...

Simple things you can do to improve start time:
    Disable/remove as many of your login items as you can.
    Clean up your desktop (file clutter creates lag)

Another thing you can do is simply put your Mac to sleep instead of a full shutdown. It will be perfectly fine, even if you go for weeks without a restart.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

you can run geekbench to performance test your mac. But 30-35 seconds isn't that bad. If you remove startup items it will start much faster. Also, the coming upgrade to snow leopard will help startup and shutdown times to run much faster. So in a month you can buy SL and have some faster startup times if that is really what you want.

4. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

5. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Wow... very interesting. My MacBook performed at 3140! Better than the best "consumer laptop", and it's an early 2008. That's awesome new to me. Also, it didn't perform too bad compared to the 33XX number on the macbook pro so I guess I am keeping it and probably getting AppleCare.

I didn't understand WHAT is tested though. How do I quantify the comparison on the processor speeds? Mine is 2.4 versus the 2.8 or 2.56 MacBook Pros that are out there (to see if there is a huge difference among them)

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well I'm guessing if it has all the refinements they are talking about, and is supposed to run all around faster than leopard, the startup will be a little faster too. I mean they probably only put the most impressive statistics on the description of it because they want it to sound all the more amazing. I already pre-ordered it from amazon so I'm hoping that I'll get it on or right around the release date, I'm really excited.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

30-35 seconds is quite normal w. a HDD. Get a SSD and you knock it down near half. Here's Geekbench on my 2.26GHz 13 MBP:

Attached Files:

8. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Don't some mac pros geekbench at 3200 or something? something's wrong here... :eek:

9. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

10. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

oh do the use a different scale for the benchmarks? seems like that would miss the point of a bench mark, wouldnt it? Maybe each computer should use it's own proprietary becnhmarking scheme, wouldn't that be convenient? And if jobs invented it, wouldn't it make becnhmark comparison SOO much easier?