Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krysspie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

never posted before and don't know any of you guys, but I would kindly ask for some guidance and help. I have been absolutely isolated from technology for the majority of my life as my family was always too poor to afford nice things. Only saw scrappy old computers in IT class with soggy and partially scratched off 2001 stickers on them. Only now when I got a scholarship in a university in a foreign country my aunt donated me a MacBook Air Early 2015 edition about 3 weeks ago ( I had no pick or choice in model, wasn't even expecting it tbh ) as I desperately needed something to work on. I have always been fond of learning things in this department but never had any real access. I wanted to use this opportunity and try to install iOS, Windows and Linux on it to maybe learn a thing or two about programming across these different platforms. Sadly I went to deep without knowing what I got myself into. So this is where my troubles begin. In my process of running boot camp to install Windows 8.1 Pro I managed to partition the hard drive, but sadly I am missing several drivers e.g.:

• Base System Device
  • Ethernet Controller
  • Multimedia Controller
  • PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
  • PCI Simple Communications Controller
  • SM BUS Controller, Virtual 61883 Class Bus Device

My college roommate has a second scrappy Lenovo laptop which he isn't using which he let me borrow while I am fixing this predicament ( as I don't have any internet to download anything such as drivers on my mac ). So far I have installed all of the drivers from my external hard drive where I had the .iso and drivers from, tried to copy 11 different drivers from across the internet, over with my USB stick, none of them resolving the issue for me. On top of this the boot camp button which is supposed to be in the toolbar on the bottom right-hand side corner won't appear for me. It should allegedly also appear in the control panel for windows, but I can't find it there either, leaving me questioned how to switch back to iOS. Under my computer when I check my hard drive, it still only displays me the partitioned part to which I have set it of 30 gb, so it didn't take over my entire hard drive, leaving me to believe that my iOS version still exists. Bringing me to my two final questions, where can I find the appropriate drivers to access things through networks and have internet and how do I switch back to iOS?.

I want to apologize in advance if this is maybe not in fact the correct sub-forum and for a possibly erroneous commenting etiquette. Also apologies for my english, as it is not my first but my fourth language. I want to thank everyone in advance for your aid and have a nice day. Greetings from the Netherlands.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
You're situation isn't too bad actually. To get back into OS X (Apple's OS that shipped with your Mac) simply reboot or shut down and hold down the "option" key during the startup. You will then be able to select the drive you want to boot from with the keyboard and return key or the mouse.

To get Windows 8.1 fully working in Boot Camp you need the Boot Camp drivers. Usually Boot Camp will have you download them and put them on a flash drive during the install. If not you can still download them separately after you boot back in to OS X. You do need an internet connection for this to work.

Apple's support document on this is located here.

The drivers you can download separately are going to be for Windows 7. The Windows 8.1 drivers are only available though the Boot Camp Assistant application on OS X. Now, I'm sure there's a way to grab them outside of it, I just haven't dug that deep.

Krysspie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
So far I have only found This and This for Boot Camp Support Software and neither of them support my Macbook Air Early 2015. Tried to run them anyway but they wont start up. Also what exactly do you mean by "option" key?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Tried to run them anyway but they wont start up. Also what exactly do you mean by "option" key?
The one that says option on it. You have 2 of them -- one next to each command key.

You shouldn't need to use it to boot into OSX. You'd need to use it to boot into Windows.

Don't overlook the Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac subforum.

So far I have only found This and This for Boot Camp Support Software and neither of them support my Macbook Air Early 2015. Tried to run them anyway but they wont start up. Also what exactly do you mean by "option" key?
I'd suggest booting back into OSX and using Boot Camp Assistant to get the drivers. See also:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923#download

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.