Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queenredspecial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Basically, I want to know -- what is a port?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I looked and I couldn't find anything that explains it to me. I looked in the Network settings, and couldn't find it...

Basically, I am trying to troubleshoot a slow Transmission torrent download, and the one thing I can't do is 'check the ports' -- because I don't even know what that means. :)

I have a MBP and am running OS 10.4.11...

Thanks!

johnrs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Nottingham - UK
could be a few things with a slow connection. one is a closed port.

go here and enter the port your app is using and see if its open or not.

http://www.utorrent.com/testport

Sometimes in trial and error until you find an open port

Also if you limit you upload ratio that can also have an effect on your dload speed. I am sure that someone with a better understanding of ports will be a long to help further

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
A port is a number used to direct network traffic. Basically, there are a lot of different applications using your internet connection for a lot of different things. You might be torrenting with Transmission, browsing the web with Safari, streaming music with iTunes, and updating your system with Software Update. The port is a number that indicates what application should handle ("listen to") a particular connection.

Before someone corrects me, ports apply specifically incoming connections rather than outgoing. The only application in my example that would handle incoming connections (from other BitTorrent users) is Transmission, which is why it's important to ensure that it is properly configured to do so. The others initiate connections to ports on other computers and receive data in reply, but don't expect to see other computers connecting to them.

Queenredspecial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Ok -- so I get what a port is -- thanks, BlueRevolution.

Now -- is there a set number of ports on my computer or network?

And how do I know what they are, in order to ensure they are 'configured properly?' In Transmission, next to the port status, it tells me that it cannot be verified.

When I go to the speed test site, (which I tried before, incidentally,) it asks me for a port number.

:confused:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Ok -- so I get what a port is -- thanks, BlueRevolution.

Now -- is there a set number of ports on my computer or network?

And how do I know what they are, in order to ensure they are 'configured properly?' In Transmission, next to the port status, it tells me that it cannot be verified.

When I go to the speed test site, (which I tried before, incidentally,) it asks me for a port number.

:confused:

The port would be in the router settings. So on your router, you should have default IP address, such as 192.168.1.1 or something like that. So you would type that into the search box in google.

I don't know whether you have a password setup on your router or not. I am sure you have a WPA setup?

Queenredspecial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
The port would be in the router settings. So on your router, you should have default IP address, such as 192.168.1.1 or something like that. So you would type that into the search box in google.

I don't know whether you have a password setup on your router or not. I am sure you have a WPA setup?

Hmmm... What is WPA?

I just looked on my modem, as I have before -- and there is no such number. Only a serial number -- it's an RCA cable modem.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Or, do you connect directly to your modem and use some software to connect to the internet? if this is the case, you wouldn't be able to connect to it in the manner decribed above (using the 192.168.1.1 address).

If you connect to a router, then you can use that address, just don't type it into the google search bar like suggested above, type it into your address bar where you input website addresses.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Sorry, should have specified -- straight from the modem to the computer.

Alright, I believe its dependent on the software your ISP has supplied you, but I will leave this to more experienced hands. But my understanding is that unless you have a firewall running (in Security in System Preferences I believe), and your ISP's software doesn't have its own way of blocking ports, you should be good.

I would recomend leaving your Firewall in the Security pane of System Preferences on, but adding an exeption for the ports you need open.

Queenredspecial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Alright, I believe its dependent on the software your ISP has supplied you, but I will leave this to more experienced hands. But my understanding is that unless you have a firewall running (in Security in System Preferences I believe), and your ISP's software doesn't have its own way of blocking ports, you should be good.

I would recomend leaving your Firewall in the Security pane of System Preferences on, but adding an exeption for the ports you need open.

So it seems the settings (which I have never changed, so I assume they are default,) have my firewall off.

So it's not that. As far as the bolded part of you message -- how do I check if my ISP's software is blocking my ports? More importantly -- how do I check my ports, or know what they are?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Or, do you connect directly to your modem and use some software to connect to the internet? if this is the case, you wouldn't be able to connect to it in the manner decribed above (using the 192.168.1.1 address).

If you connect to a router, then you can use that address, just don't type it into the google search bar like suggested above, type it into your address bar where you input website addresses.

I meant address bar :) tired this morning when i posted that..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.