Perhaps aluminium is the way forward?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lindat, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lindat macrumors member

I must admit, after studying the leaked photographs of the new iphone, I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. I have been admiring the HTC new range of mobiles in the stores and I thought I saw in a magazine recently that one of them was carved out of a single piece of aluminium, much like the macbook pros. I'd always thought this would be a neat look for the iphone, but thought that perhaps the metal would interfere with its antenna or just not be suitable. I'd like to get away from the plastic look and perhaps into something smarter looking like the new HTC's. Anyone else agree? I must add that I would never contemplate buying an HTC as I'm an Apple fan, but for sheer design looks, I think they are very desirable, especially the aptly named Desire or the Evo due out this Summer in the US. I was hoping that the 4G might really blow us all away in the design department. But I wasn't - it might grow on me, but initial thoughts are disappointing.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I think they should do as you said, a unibody aluminium construction, and turn the casing of the phone into one giant antenna. Interference problems solved!

3. funwithamar macrumors regular

totally agree..
    i think the 2g iphone is the best looking iphone yet :D

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I don't have iPhone, but for my money the leaked photos of the 4G make it look easily the nicest since the original.

It looks like it has that feel of quality to it and fits far better with the rest of Apple's offerings.

HTC's phones look like they are “trying” a bit too hard to me (with flourishes and touches that just don't need to be there), so there no to my personal taste. I do like the X10 though, that's a good example of a clean and simple, yet still attractive handset.

5. Lindat thread starter macrumors member

Yes, its the HTC Legend that's carved out of aluminium, I just found the correct model:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/681/htc-legend-test.jpg

It is very smart in aluminium and I just wish Apple would come up with something similar. I love this. Perhaps not with the raised bit on the bottom, more like the iphone current style, but just brought up to the 21st century in aluminium in keeping with some other products.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Only if it's transparent.

;)

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A transparent aluminum case would totally kill your battery life.

8. Lindat thread starter macrumors member

Why on earth would you want it to be transparent? I'm happy with solid aluminium block casing. Looks expensive, desirable, very Apple.
    Plastic just looks cheap and nasty.

9. jordand321 macrumors member

Do you not realize that with a aluminium back you would have basically no signal? Why do you think Apple switched to plastic in the first place?

10. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I think Apple did a pretty good job on the supposed 4th gen iPhone.

Glass(?) back for better service than aluminum, but an aluminum bezel for durability and looks. I haven't been a fan of the aluminum with a little black plastic piece for better signal, so until they can make that look more attractive I think they are headed in the right direction.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Oh for goodness' sake. I'd have thought that the winky-eye would've alerted everyone to the common Star Trek material reference.

:rolleyes:

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

While possible, this is *very* difficult to do engineering wise, and bluntly Apple haven't displayed that they're sufficiently good at wireless ariel engineering to get it right.

It must be said, it's also even trickier to get right and not cause significant microwave emissions which may well hit the press with negative stories read by those who are mathmatically challenged.

Phazer

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm with you, man.

"Computer? Oh...how quaint."

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

aluminum would interfere with the phone's signal wouldn't it?

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k