Perhaps one of the great solution to iTunes activation.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alvintwj, Jun 16, 2008.

1. alvintwj macrumors member

alvintwj

When a customer purchase an iPhone from AT&T or Apple retail store.
    They get this special code (presumably Alphanumeric) printed on their receipt
    and the staff would ask the person for their identification card which then the code will be assigned to the person.

Upon reaching home, subscribers would use the iTunes to activate the iPhone.
    The special code would allow AT&T to track if the subscriber have already sign up a plan with them.

If within like 30 days. The code still isn't used or what. AT&T can impose a fine on the person.

I think if the staffs going to activate on the spot in the shop, then I think it would be a long wait for those who wants to buy iPhone on the first day. 10 minutes average for 1 person.

1 hour = 6 people
    24 hours = 144 people

In one day, 1 counter can only handle like 144 people. Kinda slow compared when there's lots of people still waiting in line for their new toy.

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I don't see the big deal, AT&T stores active in-store for all of their phones already, except the iPhone. They'll already have it down to a science. And I think iPhone 3G launch day is the only day there'll be any chance of having anywhere near 100 people wanting one in any one store. This isn't like the iPhone launch, the majority of people who want an iPhone already have one. Apple is hoping to get a lot more brand new customers with this phone, but it's still not gonna be the bedlam that was last year's launch, especially if they continue to not advertise the new phone.

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

That or they'll need a credit card. And if they phone that was purchased with that credit card isn't activated in 30 days, they charge you full price for the phone.

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

It may not seem like a big deal to spend 5 minutes per customer per transaction instead of 30 seconds, but that's a 10 fold increase ... so even if there's 1/4 of the line for the new iPhone (and I don't buy that -- there were lines in NY for the OLD iPhone in May, remember, Apple will have gone nearly two months without any iPhones available, there's a lot of pent up demand) even then, the lines will be longer and slower moving.

I hope that the rumor Arn reported this morning, that there will be an express line without in-store activation for current iPhone customers, turns out to be true. That's a good solution, there's no need to activate us in store.