Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I grabbed it but since VLC updated to the .9 series, I've been using it as my primary player with no lockups or issues so Perian may be long gone for me.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Perian claims to support DTS, but if I try to play one of my Apple Lossless conversions of one of my DTS Music CDs all I get is STATIC on my Mac's speakers (unless I send it through AirTunes to one of my AppleTV units connected to a DTS decoder whereupon I do get proper 5.1 playback of DTS, but this worked without Perian with 44.1kHz DTS Music CDs. Maybe it's because the DTS Music CDs aren't flagged properly for Perian to recognize it's DTS or similarly perhaps it's the 44.1kHz sample rate?

Basically, it'd be nice if I could get stereo analog playback of DTS music CDs in iTunes for my Mac and my 2-channel only music system in my living room. Only my home theater currently has DTS with multi-channel playback. For example, if I set my iTunes library to Shuffle, it might play a DTS CD and I'd get static in those two rooms. By contrast, if I play a Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 soundtrack in iTunes, I *do* get playback through Perian in stereo on the Mac system (better than silence or static).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.