Perian included with Democracy player only?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thewhitehart, Apr 28, 2007.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

When they say that Perian is included with Democracy Player, does that automatically enable it for Quicktime when Quicktime is used by itself?

I'm confused because I have a divx movie that used to only play with VLC. Now I see it plays with Democracy Player, and I guessed this was because Perian was included. So I assumed it would now play properly with Quicktime Player, but it still doesn't.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Only one way to find out. Download Perian from here, install over the top of what you have and see if everything still works.

3. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Brilliant! The risk paid off, thanks :D

Silly that the Democracy Player doesn't install it "system wide", and only with itself. Then again, I suppose doing that would be beyond the scope of the application, and it might piss people off I suppose.

It's just that when "Perian included" is stated on Democracy's website and Perian's website, it makes it seem as if the codec would be installed for Quicktime as well.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That *is* strange. Democracy uses QT components to play (on Macs, but not on Windows). Perian normally installs as a bundle in /library/quicktime/perian.component (or, I guess, in ~/library/quicktime/perian.component if you install it for a single user).

Per this, Democracy is supposed to put it in the same place:

https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/DemocracyFoldersMac