Perian or MPEG 2 Quicktime Component?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac In School, May 21, 2009.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I recently learned about Perian. Is it a suitable replacement for the MPEG 2 Quicktime Component sold by Apple?

Is there anything the QT one will do that Perian will not?

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm not sure about Perian being a substitute for the QT MPEG-2 component.

A colleague of mine needed to view DVD MPEG-2 files with his Mac, but even though he had Perian installed, he couldn't play them even using MPEG Streamclip.

On the other hand, I had no problems doing the same without the QT MPEG-2 component, but I have Final Cut Studio and Avid, and Perian of course, installed on my machine.

He was using 10.4.11 and I use 10.5.6/7.

As Perian is free, you could give it a try first, and see if it's enough for your needs with MPEG-2 files.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I know you need the QT MPEG2 component to use mpeg streamclip with mpeg2 files, and i think you need it in addition to perian. But try perian see if it works. I think with Final Cut, the QT MPEG2 component may be included.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nowhere on Perian's website does it claim that the codec suite includes MPEG2-compatibility. It is doesn't claim it, then you can rest assured that it does not have it. If you want to playback MPEG-2 content, then you must purchase a license for the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It is.

6. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was going to post the same before I looked at it and saw that it does mention MPEG2 video. I can't be bothered to uninstall the Quicktime MPEG-2 component just to check, but maybe someone else is willing to.

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I could be wrong on this, but I think that it still needs the QT MPEG2 component to do anything, sort of like MPEG Streamclip, which can do a lot with MPEG2 files but you still need the QT MPEG2 component to anything. Maybe it is like an add-on to an add-on if that makes sense.