Perian

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jwassel, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jwassel macrumors member

i just downloaded Perian to try and help solve some of my .AVI files not having sound. Not not only do these files still not have sound, but when i open up front rpw, it takes full minutes to open up movies, i just have a black screen for a while until the movie essentially loads.

Could this have been caused by Perian? If so how do i remove Perian?
    Also any other thoughts to how i can fix my .AVI files not having audio?

thanks.....

2. Queso macrumors G4

An AVI is just a container. The codec inside could be any number of variants. It could be that Perian simply doesn't support the audio codec your files require. Try the file in VLC Player and see if that works.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Like Queso said, the easiest and best solution is VLC.

If you want to use in front row then you're going to have to re-encode. Also, open movie under quicktime and then movie inspector (command-f i believe) to see if the audio codec is supported.

4. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

ok ill try VLC player, what do you guys think is causing Front Row to go so slow? Could it be Perian?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Also try Plex. Front Row is a pretty face to QuickTime. Since QT is a pretty weak playback app, you're better off with Plex or its ugly mother, XBMC.

6. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

is there a way to make Front Row compatable with VLC? the files work in it, is there a way to get the files to work under Front Row also, or is that not gonna happen since they dont get audio in Quick Time?

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Would be helpfull if you'd tell more what format the .avi video and audio was because .avi is just a container. But nevertheless, i think we are talking about "movie" files? Most of .avi files are encoded with xvid and uses mp3 or AC3 sound. I bet your files have AC3.

Weird, because i remember that perian now supports AC3 ..if you have perian installed and still no sound, try installing the seperate standalone AC3 audio plugin for quicktime "A52Codec" http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/

Oh, also i recommend you to uninstall, then a reboot wont hurt, then install the OLDER version of Perian 1.0 because 1.0 has way better performance than 1.1. Version 1.1 for some reason has very bad framerate with h.264 files. This was found couple months ago but perian team has not made any fixes yet. If you have troubles finding version 1.0, priv msg me and tell your email and i'll send it. :)

About files been slow in front row. Its normal for files like .mkv which are x.264 video + ac3 sound. Perian "streams" those files and so it needs to "buffer" and that takes some times initially for playback to start, and then the fast forward is slow too.

One way going around this is to open the file in quicktime (you need working perian), then save the file with quicktime as "reference" file, this makes a new smaller video .mov file that is "like alias" to the bigger one. This smaller file loads much faster even in front row.

I have personally arranged all my video files so, that every movie file has an alias file which also contains all the album arts, metadata and so on. These files are dragged inside the itunes "Movie" folder. I keep the original movie files which they point to, on a differend folder. This way every file, would it be xvid, mkv, or whatever loads fine with nice album arts inside front row :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :cool: