Periodic 'humming' problem with new 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thinkmad, Mar 14, 2009.

1. thinkmad macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just purchased 2 1TB Barracudas and upon installing them (bays 3 and 4) I noticed a faint but definitely audible (and aggravating) humming noise that comes in a cycle of about 5 seconds.

It sounds identical to this video (made by someone else, but with the same drive) but my cycle is a bit longer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXmVqSKxKw

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the drives or my installation? I mounted them tightly. I tried staggering the new drives with my old drives in terms of bay order to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this? The price on these drives is killer ($129) but I'll be returning them soon if I can't kill this noise.

Thanks,
    Alex

----------------------------
    mac pro. 2 x 2.66GHZ Dual-Core Intel Xeon. 2GB 667MHZ DDR2 FB-DIMM.

2. Lucibelle macrumors member

Do some research on these, and you'll find that they've been having TONS of problems. Some people are claiming a firmware upgrade to be a fix, but when you hear about humming, clicking, and even smoke, firmware just doesn't seem...realistic.

Some people have been happy with these drives, but it seems much like russian roulette. I looked into them myself, seeing how I've used Seagate, they were 'statistically' good drives, and the price was great, but after hearing about the problems, I think they are just trying to unload them now.

If it were me, I'd return them. Go with another brand.