Periodic static interruption on Music while driving with 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scariaga, Jul 13, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

This is my first iPhone so maybe this problem existed with the first gen :confused: before purchasing my 3G iPhone I was using my iPod hooked up via an external input into my car stereo (not an FM transmitter). So basically I'm taking the headphone output and wiring that directly into my car stereo. I never had any issues with static sounds or feedback on my iPod. With my new iPhone I notice periodic staticy sounds while driving, kind of like a stuttering beeping sound :confused: I've heard the same sound at work when people have a stereo set up and a cell phone rings near by. Seems like some type of feedback caused by the cell phone. Anybody have this happen with their iPhone? is there any fix for this?

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

The cable is probably acting as a conductor to the sound. You could try putting a magnet around the cable (like those magnets you get on a USB cable.

Not really sure where you could get one from though.

Other alternative would be to put the phone into airport mode.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not familiar with the magnets you get on a usb cable, is that something you buy additionally or its already on the cable?

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Already on them. Its the big 1-inch lump thats usually a couple of inches away from one of the connectors. Sometimes its a magnet, other times its just a looped wire.

See this for more info: http://lifehacker.com/397013/magnets-kill-the-cell-phone-speaker-buzz

edt: whoops! As per the article, they aren't magnets, they're just ferrite beads. Sorry.

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

oh great! looks like a fix. thanks a lot :)