iPad Periodically erasing iPad does wonders for performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rajpatel, May 14, 2014.

1. rajpatel macrumors regular

So my air had gotten to the same state my retina mini was in when I returned it to store last Xmas. It had 2 gb space and wouldn't delete those stupid rental movies. So I erased the thing and now everything is great and performance at least tripled. Like a new machine.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just like most devices they need some cache space to operate the best. Anytime you get down to a couple of GB left, you may notrice it slowing down. It is why I do the 128gb unit so I do not have to ever worry.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

What standards are you using to measure "triple" the performance?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. iOS is a little like Windows 95. Best to reformat, and fully refresh every 3-4months.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've never had to do this even once, and after years of use I don't see any performance degradation on either of the iPads we own. How can that be, I wonder?

----------

Voodoo, of course.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds about right :)

7. foobi macrumors regular

Not so often. Maybe after one year.

8. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

It's legit. Same method Samsung uses for their devices. :p

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Only if Apple uses it first :)

10. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Before the erasure, it was laggy. After, it is so fast. Love it. Just really fast. And it feels good to download the $1 movie and watch it. I hate that my iPads will never let me simply erase those rental movies .

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I have never experienced this effect. I've restored multiple iOSs on two iPads and never seen a noticeable performance improvement. The reason I do it is to clear the "other" files to free up space.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The "other" files are saved app states. You can delete them by dragging them upwards from the chooser. I'd hate to see how you turn out a light.

13. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lol at paying 500+ for a device that needs "periodically erase" for performance

14. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

No, not what I'm referring to. I assume they're some kind of temporary files, but since you can't access the filesystem there is no way to know and delete them. It builds up to a couple of gigabytes every ~6 months. I'm far from the only person to have this issue.

15. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

iExplore will let you peruse ios app directories. Last I knew, it was free.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Saved app states are what is represented in the "other" data bar. They grow as you use your iPad because iOS tries to hang onto as many of them as possible. You can delete them as I said, or better yet, just let iOS manage memory. They will be deleted automatically as the space is needed for current tasks. This is not an issue to get all weirded out about. It is iOS doing its job.

----------

LOL at the people who think this is true.

17. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I've noticed the same thing. But I think it is just fresh device without any of the mail downloaded or pictures downloaded, so performance is snappy but it also doesn't have any data to pull up in those apps.

18. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

The air is a beautiful device. Worth every penny of the five hundred. Erasing is just a personal thing. I don't have valuable files on there, hence no problem erasing. I like to keep my air as light as possible. Apple inspires me with their design philosophy and sleek products to keep things simple and streamlined just like they do.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

So, your files are weighing the iPad down now?

20. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

I don't even have files on there. Just a few hundred songs from iTunes and a few hundred pictures. Of course those are files, but I have no problem every six months or so just erasing and starting fresh. Sometimes I will have ten or twelve apps that I no longer use, and erasing is just simpler. Plus it restores it to a new like feeling.

21. njsapple2012 macrumors member

I agree.

I'd upgraded from iOS 7.0.6 to 7.1.1 without resetting my Retina Mini "as new" and there were a couple of quirks.

Restored to factory settings, and as you say, performance is drastically improved.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never reset my iPad or iPhone, and the performance is as good as the day I got it.

While it may be helpful, I do wonder if you don't use actual benchmarks, that it a perceived improvement, i.e., some things seem faster so it must be faster.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That was my question to the OP. I agree that without any sort of benchmarks it's hard to believe that something is "three times as fast."

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Placebo effect

A placebo (/pləˈsiboʊ/ plə-see-boh; Latin placēbō, "I shall please"[2] from placeō, "I please")[3][4] is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient. Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect. Placebo effect consists of several different effects woven together, and the methods of placebo administration may be as important as the administration itself.[5]

25. iosuser macrumors 6502a

This.

Both my 5s and iPad Air were restored from backups from 3GS and iPad 2. Some jailbroken devices in the mix too. I've backed up and restore onto the new iDevice every single time without ever seeing any performance issues.