iPad Periodically erasing iPad does wonders for performance

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
So my air had gotten to the same state my retina mini was in when I returned it to store last Xmas. It had 2 gb space and wouldn't delete those stupid rental movies. So I erased the thing and now everything is great and performance at least tripled. Like a new machine.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just like most devices they need some cache space to operate the best. Anytime you get down to a couple of GB left, you may notrice it slowing down. It is why I do the 128gb unit so I do not have to ever worry.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
So my air had gotten to the same state my retina mini was in when I returned it to store last Xmas. It had 2 gb space and wouldn't delete those stupid rental movies. So I erased the thing and now everything is great and performance at least tripled. Like a new machine.
What standards are you using to measure "triple" the performance?

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Yes. iOS is a little like Windows 95. Best to reformat, and fully refresh every 3-4months.

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Before the erasure, it was laggy. After, it is so fast. Love it. Just really fast. And it feels good to download the $1 movie and watch it. I hate that my iPads will never let me simply erase those rental movies .

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I have never experienced this effect. I've restored multiple iOSs on two iPads and never seen a noticeable performance improvement. The reason I do it is to clear the "other" files to free up space.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have never experienced this effect. I've restored multiple iOSs on two iPads and never seen a noticeable performance improvement. The reason I do it is to clear the "other" files to free up space.
The "other" files are saved app states. You can delete them by dragging them upwards from the chooser. I'd hate to see how you turn out a light.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The "other" files are saved app states. You can delete them by dragging them upwards from the chooser. I'd hate to see how you turn out a light.
No, not what I'm referring to. I assume they're some kind of temporary files, but since you can't access the filesystem there is no way to know and delete them. It builds up to a couple of gigabytes every ~6 months. I'm far from the only person to have this issue.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, not what I'm referring to. I assume they're some kind of temporary files, but since you can't access the filesystem there is no way to know and delete them. It builds up to a couple of gigabytes every ~6 months. I'm far from the only person to have this issue.
Saved app states are what is represented in the "other" data bar. They grow as you use your iPad because iOS tries to hang onto as many of them as possible. You can delete them as I said, or better yet, just let iOS manage memory. They will be deleted automatically as the space is needed for current tasks. This is not an issue to get all weirded out about. It is iOS doing its job.

----------

lol at paying 500+ for a device that needs "periodically erase" for performance
LOL at the people who think this is true.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I've noticed the same thing. But I think it is just fresh device without any of the mail downloaded or pictures downloaded, so performance is snappy but it also doesn't have any data to pull up in those apps.

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
The air is a beautiful device. Worth every penny of the five hundred. Erasing is just a personal thing. I don't have valuable files on there, hence no problem erasing. I like to keep my air as light as possible. Apple inspires me with their design philosophy and sleek products to keep things simple and streamlined just like they do.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The air is a beautiful device. Worth every penny of the five hundred. Erasing is just a personal thing. I don't have valuable files on there, hence no problem erasing. I like to keep my air as light as possible. Apple inspires me with their design philosophy and sleek products to keep things simple and streamlined just like they do.
So, your files are weighing the iPad down now?

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
I don't even have files on there. Just a few hundred songs from iTunes and a few hundred pictures. Of course those are files, but I have no problem every six months or so just erasing and starting fresh. Sometimes I will have ten or twelve apps that I no longer use, and erasing is just simpler. Plus it restores it to a new like feeling.

njsapple2012

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I agree.

I'd upgraded from iOS 7.0.6 to 7.1.1 without resetting my Retina Mini "as new" and there were a couple of quirks.

Restored to factory settings, and as you say, performance is drastically improved.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I've never reset my iPad or iPhone, and the performance is as good as the day I got it.

While it may be helpful, I do wonder if you don't use actual benchmarks, that it a perceived improvement, i.e., some things seem faster so it must be faster.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I've never reset my iPad or iPhone, and the performance is as good as the day I got it.

While it may be helpful, I do wonder if you don't use actual benchmarks, that it a perceived improvement, i.e., some things seem faster so it must be faster.
That was my question to the OP. I agree that without any sort of benchmarks it's hard to believe that something is "three times as fast."

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Placebo effect

A placebo (/pləˈsiboʊ/ plə-see-boh; Latin placēbō, "I shall please"[2] from placeō, "I please")[3][4] is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient. Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect. Placebo effect consists of several different effects woven together, and the methods of placebo administration may be as important as the administration itself.[5]

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Placebo effect

A placebo (/pləˈsiboʊ/ plə-see-boh; Latin placēbō, "I shall please"[2] from placeō, "I please")[3][4] is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient. Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect. Placebo effect consists of several different effects woven together, and the methods of placebo administration may be as important as the administration itself.[5]
This.

Both my 5s and iPad Air were restored from backups from 3GS and iPad 2. Some jailbroken devices in the mix too. I've backed up and restore onto the new iDevice every single time without ever seeing any performance issues.