Peripheral that will quickly let me duplicate large hard drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marklight, Jun 3, 2009.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I have a macbook pro (only computer) and I'm needing to quickly copy some large 1TB+ sata drives that I have. Problem is that to do it via USB takes more than 24 hours per drive. I dont really want to buy a desktop to copy these drives, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of peripheral that will let me copy one drive's data to another via normal sata speeds. I don't care if it's a separate unit, or if it's some kind of adapter + external enclosure for my macbook pro.

Thanks for any help.

I'm wondering, if I get an esata adapter, and then I buy this external enclosure :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707092R

will I get sata speeds if I transfer information between two drives in the same enclosure?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

There is no reason I can think of why this would not be the case. Since you are directly connecting two SATA drives to a SATA controller. The only real limit would be the performance of the controller and hard drives themselves.

edit: If you are expecting the hard drives to give you maximum SATA speed that will not happen. Even if all you were transferring were massive files no platter based hard drive is that fast. Even the 15,000 RPM and SSD drives cannot approach that write speed though read speeds are closing in on SATA 300. The best I have gotten on transferring large video files between the fastest 7200RPM 640GB SATA hard drives available 4 months ago was 81MB/s.

5. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

yea I just meant the speeds that you'd expect transferring two hard drives that are hooked up via sata. I have a friend who has a mac pro, and he can duplicate a 1 TB hard drive in around 4 hours.