Peripherals in general, and OSX compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevo1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. stevo1 macrumors member

Couple of quick questions...

1) When a printer or scanner or any other bit of kit is advertised as "MacOSX 10.2 or later" can you be reasonably confident that it will work with 10.4, 10.5, etc?

2) How about when something is specifically advertised as "Mac OSX 10.4" (and you know that 10.5 wasn't out when that was written) can you assume that it will be very likely to work with 10.5? (Again, I'm talking things like printers and scanners)?

It's just that if we assume Apple releases a new version of OSX every 12-18 months, and if the above assumptions can't be safely made without checking each bit of kit, then doesn't that mean all our printers/scanners/etc may - may - only have a shelf life of a year to a year and half? (assuming we upgrade OSX at every version)

(Just seems a bit crazy - that's shorter than it would take me to use up a laser printer refill! :confused: )

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

If it works with a previous version of OS X, there is little reason it wouldn't work on a current version. Apple makes their operating systems MORE compatible, unlike some other well known software companies.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Chances are they will work.

If you want to know about a specific model, best advice would be to do search on that model using MRoogle (link in my sig)