Peripherals that don't work with Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neveragainHP, May 15, 2008.

1. neveragainHP macrumors newbie

Hi all !

After much frustration of loosing time and money I decided to start a thread of peripherals that won't run at all, need complicated workarounds or simply don't give you the functionality you paid for !

Please contribute by adding items and rating them from 0 to 5 (0 just doesn't work ! 5 works with workaround or just not the way it should)!

Please share your comments so others don't waste money by supporting these sleazy corporations for stuff that just doesn't work with :apple: !

2. neveragainHP thread starter macrumors newbie

Hewlett Packards Printers

Business Inkjet 2800 Series Printer 0/5

Spools for hours before printing prints.
    Gives offending command error on print page
    Can't handle images out of any imaging software (photoshop etc...)
    HP tech supports will agree with you when you call them : yeah you got ripped off ! :eek: It's not really supported at all on :apple: Leopard :confused: and they have no plans to fix any of their drivers for any products that doesn't work with :apple: Leopard...:mad:

Thanks HP !:rolleyes:

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Have you tried the drivers from here?

Also, it isn't exactly news that HP makes really bad drivers and software for OS X. They always have and always will.

Anyway, just trying to provide some help in an otherwise ranty thread.

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

My Lacie card reader will not mount any media on the desktop at all.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

HP PSC 1350 printer works perfectly while connected via usb but doesnt work while connected wirelessly via airport extreme. there are many people with this issue just search hp 1350 at apple support and you'll find tons of threads with no solution. so if you are thinking of printing wirelessly dont get the HP psc 1300 series.

6. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Some Canon Scanners need a work around. To get your scanner to work with Photoshop, you have to open Photoshop via Rosetta. It took me a long time to figure that one out.

7. artwrite macrumors newbie

Can't print over Airport Extreme

My Canon Pixma MP 610 is direct-connected to my iMac running OS 10.5.3 via USB and works great, but when I try to access that printer from my PB over Airport Extreme, I get error messages. I have the latest Airport Extreme firmware and the latest Canon driver in both the iMac and the PB. What is the problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Just like above...Epson R280 printer works only with direct USB and not over airport extreme. Epson has a new driver on their site as of June that directly references fixing this issue but I've had no luck with it.

Edit: Finally got it to work...downloaded the new Easy Print driver from the epson site, deleted the original Epson printer in the Print/Fax system preferences pane. Turned off printer, turned off airport. Turned printer back on, airport back on. Clicked + to add printer and selected Epson Stylus photo Bonjour in the list. Done..wirelessly printing now :)

9. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

The same printer works fine for me over Airport Express N from my 10.5.3 G4 PB. Only printing, that is, no scanning. Maybe a reinstall of the printer's drivers will fix it for you?

10. artwrite macrumors newbie

Do you know which driver you're using? I downloaded Canon's MP610 driver version 10.1.2.0 again today and it still doesn't work.

Also, I have the printer connected via usb to the iMac, not the airport extreme. I've done it that way in the past but since I installed OS 10.5.3 it doesn't work. Today I installed OS 10.5.4 and airport utility 7.3.2 and those didn't help.

11. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I have not checked - will do that as soon as I get to my computer. What I do know is that I installed the driver from the enclosed CD, not from the web.

EDIT: in the Preference ->Print and fax pane, the MP610 driver under "Driver version" says 6.9.1. I bought this printer last week at the Apple retail store, so it should be fairly fresh, I suppose.

12. artwrite macrumors newbie

Canon MP610 & Airport Extreme -- It works!

I could not share my MP610 via Bonjour when it was direct attached to my Mac. I added an Airport Express to the network and connected the MP610 to that. Using the latest Airport firmware and Canon's newest driver, everything works perfectly. I guess one can't attach the printer to the Mac and use Bonjour for printer sharing as I used to do. So $99 and much frustration, I'm back in business.

13. Reg from France macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    as I spent quite a lot of time also myself on this pb and NOW I HAVE THE SOLUCE , here it is:
    - my conf : Leopard 10.5.4 PPC, Canon MP610 USD directly connected.
    - my wish: share it via Wifi (Cegetel rtr) with some of my Win XP PC.

Pbs encountered:
    - Bonjour Nok ; MP610 not detected on Bonjour XP (probably cuz USB connected and not via Airport...)
    - did not manage to go to final Samba/SMB conf (moreover my PC are
    already in some workgroups, differents wkgp on each PC...)

What I wanted to do, and finally succeed in it:
    - on the MAC, configure an additional QUEUE for my Canon MP610 but
    of RAW type
    - PS: on my PC, I Installed and want to make use of the official Canon MP610 drivers.

HOW TO DO IT:
    - install normally your MP610 on the MAC as the default printer, with the
    Canon driver (Canon IJ driver).
    - then, ask for 'Add a printer'
    - select the same MP610 printer (in the default submenu) and then try to change its driver to 'Generic Postscript Driver'.

The system should not prompt you for confirmation to add a 2nd queue for
    this already installed sme printer : say Yes.
    And thats it ! you re done.

You then just need to add this 2ndly created printer to your PC
    (Add printer > Network > \\IP@\printer_name_newPostscriptQueue..)
    and its now possible to print from your PC using this shared printer, using
    all Canon MP610 options ..

Great isnt it !!

PS: Since I did that, it seems I dont have access to the proper default printer in the MAC under the syst pref for Printers !! wierd ...:confused:
    selecting

14. mollylaurel macrumors newbie

Canon PIXMA MP610

Hi Guys,

I've decided to post in this thread as there seems to be a fair bit of discussion about this printer here.

I'm a Mac newbie, and connect to my boyfriend's computer etc via our wireless network. He has an MP610, which I want to print to via the network. The trouble is, there aren't any drivers on my Macbook for this model, and downloading them doesn't seem to work.

I download them from the website, open the installer, it does it's thing and tells me to restart. I then try to select the driver in Preferences>Print and Fax, but it's there greyed out: mp610sosxpd693ej7.dmg

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
    Molly :confused:

15. sheperinski macrumors member

Lexmark C500n.. Purchased it thinking I'd got a great bargain on a well-reviewed color printer. After rigging it up and trying for months to get it to work properly, I emailed Lexmark who replied saying they're "not currently supporting Leopard for that printer" :(

16. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Lexmark Wireless Printers

Lexmark 4500 series wireless printer. Can't find the printer with Leopard. I have downloaded the current drivers, talked with tech support, blah, blah, blah. Could connect with Tiger but when I upgraded I can only print using the cable.

17. artwrite macrumors newbie

Molly,

Is the printer connected to his computer or to the network? When my MP610 printer was direct USB-connected to my primary Mac, I could not print to it from other Macs in the house. But when I connected it to the Airport instead, it works great. The Canon Pixma MP610 driver which you can find under Multifunction printers on the Canon website is the correct driver. Hope this helps.

Art

18. Reg from France macrumors newbie

soluce for sharg MP610 (no airport needed)

Hi Guys, Molly & Art
    as I spent quite a lot of time also myself on this pb and NOW I HAVE THE SOLUCE , here it is:

Pbs encountered:
    - Bonjour Nok ; MP610 not detected on Bonjour XP (probably cuz USB connected and not via Airport...)

of RAW type
    - PS: on my PC, I Installed and want to make use of the official Canon MP610 drivers.

HOW TO DO IT:
    - select the same MP610 printer (in the default submenu) and then try to change its driver to 'Generic Postscript Driver'.

Great isnt it !! let me no if still have pb

19. Reg from France macrumors newbie

soluce sharing MP160 (no airport needed)

Hi Guys,

Pbs encountered:

of RAW type

HOW TO DO IT:

Great isnt it !!:D