Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter-owned live video streaming platform Periscope received an update on Wednesday that introduces a new feature enabling broadcasters to earn revenue for the first time.

Since Periscope's inception, viewers have embraced the "like" or "heart" function as a way to show their appreciation for broadcasts while they're streaming, but until now there's been no means for users to reward broadcasters monetarily.

Periscope_Super_Hearts_Banner.0.png-800x534.jpeg

However, as of this week, viewers can now purchase "Super Hearts" and reward live broadcasters, who can then cash out the value of the virtual goods at the end of each month. The hearts are similar to "cheering", the paid reward in rival Amazon broadcast platform Twitch.

Any user of Periscope can buy and send Super Hearts during live streams, but not for replays. Hearts are purchased within the app using newly introduced virtual currency, Periscope Coins, which range in price from 99 cents for 1,050 to 132,650 for $100.

Super Hearts come in three types with increasing price, in order to enable viewers to reward broadcasters with larger amounts in one go and appear higher up in the live chat stream. Broadcasters who gain Super Hearts will see them as stars in their profile, and to cash them out they have to enroll in Periscope's new "Super Broadcasters" program, which requires filling out an application and tax form.

Periscope is a free download for iPad and iPhone available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Periscope Introduces Virtual Currency Allowing Broadcasters to Earn Revenue

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
Great! Yet more ways for distracted driving.

"Hey folks! I'm driving home and live streaming."
*CRASH*
-4674930474792028474859 super hearts injected to live stream
"Don't mind the blood and guts strewn all over the car and road. Yay for super hearts! I'm going to be rich!"

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
In before Apple demands 30%.

I think you're too late. This falls right in line with Apple's guidelines about in-app "tipping" a couple of weeks ago. I can see Apple either demanding the "cheering" tool be disabled in the iOS app or for the app developer to pay the fee.

Reactions: eastmanweb

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I really hope this platform works. Directly paying for content instead of subsidizing through ads is the best way to build a relationship between a consumer and a creator.

Reactions: Morod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.