Perl Script to extra backups from iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by opticalserenity, Jul 18, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

http://calmstorm.net/iphone/unravel.perl

From the developer:

It'll extract your backups - the sms database will be in ~/iPhone/Backup/Library/SMS/sms.db

You must run it from inside the iPhone backup that you want to extract (or specify it on the command line.)

2. CGagnon macrumors regular

CGagnon

How does this work?

3. MisterFurious macrumors newbie

I got it to work as follows:

Open terminal, then type

cd ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/<long folder name made up of hex characters>)

perl unravel.perl (this works best if the perl file is located in the same folder)

This extracts all data and puts it into a new folder in the home directory: iPhone/Backups. Data is broken up into individual folders: contacts, events, SMS messages, etc.

Problem is, I now have an sms.db file that I don't know how to read. Opening it in text editor shows a bunch of non-standard characters with embedded messages that include the SMS phone number from which the message was received.

Any suggestions on how to read it? And how to automate this tool? It would be pretty useful for non-geeks.

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

destructions please

for a non-geek... how do you run this file?:confused:

5. nward10 macrumors newbie

It's a SQLite 3 database. Use something like SQLite Database Browser.

6. miagenevieve macrumors newbie

running perl script

I can't seem to get the perl script to run correctly... could someone help me out and spell out how to run the script in terminal.
    Thanks...