Permanent association of files and programmes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by derekoppen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. derekoppen macrumors newbie

It seems that if I getinfo on a file and change its association with a programme, it applies to existing file but not new files. So everyday I have to change the file association of all new files. A pain . Any solution?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Get Info ... Choose an app, Change all ...

Attached Files:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Did you click Change all...?

4. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

but it appears to apply only to existing files. i.e. it is not sticky. I cant believe I would praise Windows but at least you can do a permanent association of files and programmes. Good news is that Apple's net is up 15%!!!

5. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Your OS X install must have a random bug somewhere

cause what you want is exactly what the "change all" option is supposed to do.

I suggest you fix permissions, do you know how to do that?

6. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

apparently not!

so far the change only applies to existing files.

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Are you talking about newly created files not opening in the program you assigned? Because when you newly save a file it often imprints that specific file with the program to open it with. In other words, lets say you download a jpg picture off the net, double click it, and it'll open in the program Preview (or whatever). Now you open that jpg in photoshop, make some changes, and save the file. Now when you double click on that file it'll open in photoshop instead of preview.

I believe only SOME programs do this behavior, not all. So photoshop may not actually do this, but if this is the type of scenario you're talking about, then this may be what's happening. Many programs that do this behavior have an advanced preference setting somewhere to change this. It'll be a checkbox called something like "change file creator to photoshop".

Is this the type of situation you're talking about?

8. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

nope!

suppose i download 50 files. i can change their associations to another program. suppose i download a new file with the same extension. by default it opens with the wrong association, not the one i want. i.e. associating a file with a program isnt sticky in the sense that it applies to newly-downloaded file. it is only retroactive. very mysterious. at least to me.

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

How are you downloading these files? Let's say your buddy (who's also on a Mac) makes a jpg file in photoshop and has his photoshop program preferences set to imprint saved files as having photoshop as its creator. He takes the folder of 50 jpgs and turns it into a zip file and emails it to you. Now you unzip that folder and double click on one of the jpgs. This file will now launch photoshop instead of whatever your default is, because the file already has a creator program written into it. The default program that you set in OS X will only be launched for the files having that extension which DON'T already have a creator program written into the file itself.

So tell us, EXACTLY how are these files getting onto your computer, and EXACTLY what is done to these files once they're on your disk?

We can figure this out. :)

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well it does work for us. Have you tried the suggestions of fixing permissions, which is done through Disk Utility? Also, have you rebooted? What OS and version do you have installed? Is File Vault running?

11. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

yikes

you guys are great.

ok these are typically .avi files. typically they are in pieces which i have to put together with split & concat or whatever. so they get stored as .avi files. if i double click on them quicktime tries to play them and fails. if I getinfo them and specify vlc all goes well - vlc corrects errors. if i getinfo them and specify vlc for all such files all goes well. but if i download a new file, it defaults to quicktime which barfs. i.e. the association to vlc applies only to previously downloaded files not to newly downloaded files.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

TextWrangler is one of those apps. I can't stand it, because it associates my html files to it when they should open with Safari.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Oh, I believe split an concat actually has settings to specify the program for the new file it creates for each extension type.

p.s., if you're just looking to concatenate parts of files into a whole, then I highly recommend you use the program called Catenator. IMO, it is vastly superior to split and concat.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23931

14. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

TextWrangler doesn't have a preference option to change that behavior? Surprising.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not that I've seen. I've started using Espresso since MH3.

16. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Something is wrong.
    I use split and concat to reassemble split .avi files and I also use VLC to play them. When you chose to use open with VLC. The option to always open .avi with VLC should work as a permanent change.