Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I’ve noticed that after enabling a weather widget that I permanent have the outlined location services icon in my menu bar. Does this happen for everyone? I don’t mind it being there when it needs to update but I thought usually it would disappear after a few seconds.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
I’ve noticed that after enabling a weather widget that I permanent have the outlined location services icon in my menu bar. Does this happen for everyone? I don’t mind it being there when it needs to update but I thought usually it would disappear after a few seconds.
Settings-Privacy-Location Services
For explanation, then tap Weather (or any other item) to see what you have turned on.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Settings-Privacy-Location Services
For explanation, then tap Weather (or any other item) to see what you have turned on.

I have it turned on to while using the app and only have a pre-selected weather location in a widget but it still seems to be constantly checking location

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For any app, if I've set location services to While Using and the arrow never goes away (because of that app), I delete it real quick.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
I have it turned on to while using the app and only have a pre-selected weather location in a widget but it still seems to be constantly checking location
It doesn’t mean that it is constantly checking. It means that it “may” receive it under certain conditions.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Are you sure about that? I didn't think an app set to While Using should be persisting the outline arrow, only when it is set to Always.

It doesn’t mean that it is constantly checking. It means that it “may” receive it under certain conditions.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Only apps set to Always are showing the outlined arrow in my Location settings. Tried opening a few While Using apps and they all seem to trigger the solid arrow while the app is in use.

Sometimes an app will show the white bent arrow, even though it is no longer using location. Double check and make sure it hasn’t been running in the background.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Only apps set to Always are showing the outlined arrow in my Location settings. Tried opening a few While Using apps and they all seem to trigger the solid arrow while the app is in use.

Right, that's what I'm used to, which is that it will be full when the app is open and then outline for a few minutes after, but then eventually disappears, but the outline is not going away, it seems like the Weather app is constantly checking my location, which I'm worried is affecting battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.