Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
UK
So just recollecting the keynote. iOS 9 generally provides 1 extra hour of battery on iPhone and low power mode provides a further 3 hours of battery, totally a 4 hour battery life improvement (by the way the video "hidden features of iOS 9 is wrong in saying low power mode gives 1 extra).

Anyway what I'm wondering is whether or not the 3 hour improvement happens when switching it on at 10% or having it on all the time?

Anyone with ios9 tried low power mode ? I'm planning have my iPhone in low power mode nearly all the time because I have my iPad Air 2 for powerful stuff.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So just recollecting the keynote. iOS 9 generally provides 1 extra hour of battery on iPhone and low power mode provides a further 3 hours of battery, totally a 4 hour battery life improvement (by the way the video "hidden features of iOS 9 is wrong in saying low power mode gives 1 extra).

Anyway what I'm wondering is whether or not the 3 hour improvement happens when switching it on at 10% or having it on all the time?

Anyone with ios9 tried low power mode ? I'm planning have my iPhone in low power mode nearly all the time because I have my iPad Air 2 for powerful stuff.

If I would make a good guess, I would say the promised 3 hours apply to a fully-charged phone. If you think about it, Apple promises 3 extra hours to what you normally would have. It may very well be true that your phone can hold 3 more hours with just 20%, but it wouldn't be 3 hours more than you normally would get. If it would be true then Apple could deliver 15 hours of extra battery life when the feature is turned on permanently and that seems like something Apple definitely would have mentioned. Looking at the specifics of low-power mode, I don't think we can expect that much of an improvement.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Yep, definitely when activated at a full charge. But, for what it's worth, I haven't noticed any real slow downs at my general tasks which include light browsing, email, text, phone and simple stuff like that. Guess you don't really need the full power for that. And that's on a 5s.

Reactions: magicMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.