Permanent screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tl01, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

So if you put one of these protectors like the invisible shield or ishield on your phone, what do you do if you need a new phone? Do you just buy another one again?

2. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Why would you need a new phone?

Come on bro if you buy a screen protector and then get a new phone buy another one, or take off the existing one and try and keep it from getting dust on it (which wont happen) and re-apply it to your new one!

A bit of a no brainer and not to worthy of a thread but to answer your question, yes buy a new one or another thought... Dont get a new phone!

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Uh... Sorry... Not a bro here. What if your phone has a mechanical failure? I had a number of 3G phones with issues that were not my fault.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The cost of screen protectors are such that its really not worth salvaging the old one to put on the new one. I've always had issues reapplying a screen protector. For me, its a one shot deal.

FWIW, I'm going to get the ghost armor on my phone, my wife has it on her iPhone and it appears to be top quality. We let one of those kiosks add it, something I'll let them do on mine when I get a chance

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine was $30... That's not a non issue to me. I had at least 4 3G phones over the course of 2 years... That's $120 in protectors.

6. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

The IShield has lifetime warranty, so basically just take out the screen when you return the phone and ask for a new one. It's not "permanent" as you can't take it out anymore. For Zagg, you just pay shipping the new set and return the old ones.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

I wonder if that is unfair though bc it isn't the shield company's fault.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A $20 shield costs them about 4 cents to make. I think they can swing sending you a free replacement.

9. dsa1971 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

4 3G over 2 years? What do you do to your phone? You could try to reapply but that can be difficult. Or you could buy less expensive screen protectors. There's not really other options. Re-use or replace. That's it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of invisible shield. I prefer the Protectors that go on dry and have found many good ones that are pretty cheap

10. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Really want me to list them... Phone with a weak battery, bad home button, messed up screen connector, one I broke while doing a good deed for someone else ( yes my fault).. and one other one... Can't remember at this moment.

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Then your best bet is to get something like the Zagg Invisible Shield which offers a lifetime warranty. If you have to return your phone, then just remove the shield since it's required to be sent back when you ask for a replacement. You probably won't be able to apply it to your new device, because removing it will more than likely stretch the shield out.

And it's not unfair to request another one. You can remove it and ask for another one every week if you want to. You'll have to go through the hassle of sending it in (paying shipping) and waiting for another though.