Permanently Delete Files and Folders - No Chance for Restore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdag, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jdag macrumors 6502a

I have a Drobo (gen 2) directly attached via FireWire to an iMac running Yosemite.

There are a number of files and folders that I would like to delete permanently. In other words, I don't want those files or folders to be in any way recoverable.

I do have backups, but a full reformatting of the drives really is not practical/desireable. Would the "Secure Empty Trash" option on OS X be the best alternate?

Please advise on the best way to handle this task.

Thanks!

2. Gregg2, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, I don't think that will help. It will take $100 recovery software to get any deleted file back, but if you want that to be impossible, you need a utility to Wipe Free Space after deleting. I use TechTool Pro ($75 ?) for that and am not sure if it can be done in Disk Utility, which you should have. Can't explore, not at my Mac right now.

According to the post below, I am mistaken. However, if you have files you've already deleted not using Secure Empty Trash, the advice above will make them impossible to recover.

3. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

If you believe "Secure empty trash" does what Apple claims it does, then it should be sufficient to permanently delete files without recovery options.

Essentially, it will delete the file and overwrite the space on disk the file existed on with random data.

4. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a