permanently disable PowerBook LCD display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by javieralvarez, Mar 17, 2008.

1. javieralvarez macrumors newbie

javieralvarez

I have a 1ghz PowerBook G4 (titanium) whose LCD has expired long ago... I want to re-purpose it for use as an FTP server, and maybe also some sort of media server. I've removed the LCD panel from the PowerBook, and even snipped the two sets of leads into the display from the PowerBook. However, when I plug a monitor into the PB's DVI, and it boots up, it still reads the "Color LCD" display... I want to permanently disable the LCD, and not have to "mirror" my display, as I will only be using an external display, and don't want any resources diverted to the ghost LCD...

Please advise.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Could you not just keep the thing closed and run in clamshell mode?

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

You know, I sort of have the same kind of situation. I have a PB G4 without a head, as well... but mine had no OS on it (i bought it this way as spare parts for 20 bucks... hehehe the ram alone was worth that much!). I tried to load leopard (plugged in an external display) but it only displayed on the non-existing LCD. I used my macbook pro and counted tabs and spaces to do setup without seeing anything... surprisingly I got it installed, but I still can't see anything!

If there were a way to switch it to just use the external monitor, I'd be thrilled!

Edit: I think we're both beyond the point of using in clamshell mode because of the lack of an LCD attached. The problem here is activating the reed switch since there is no magnet. If I could figure out where that was, I'm sure I could trip it and use clamshell mode.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Ooops, I some how skipped the removing of the LCD bit.
    :eek:

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

cant you just make the external the primary display and ignore the "color LCD" ??? or do you not know how to do that?

you drag the tiny white bar from one screen to the other in the arrangement section of the displays

...id give you a pic but im not at home right now and dont have a monitor to do it on

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I just got off the phone with Apple about this thing. They said you need the display closed, so the computer will auto-user the external display.