Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achukris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
I am trying to dock my macbook to my LCD TV and use the screen as my computer. I know this is possible by connecting it via DVI for which the macbook needs to remain open and I mirror the image onto the LCD screen.

However, I am looking to dock it in such a way that the macbook remains closed and I can use my wireless keyboard and mouse to control the macbook and leave it there permanently.

What do I need to make this happen, it terms of hardware including cables and how do I go about doing this.

Thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
it's called clamshell mode. lots of posts on the forum about it and also on apple's forum. not sure if you can use both wireless keyboard and mouse - I don't think they are usable when the Mac goes into sleep mode.

robj

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Madrid, Spain
I think the only thing you need to investigate is to switch on the computer without the button which is "inside" the laptop.

If it is slept, you can wake up using your wireless keyb or mouse

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
I use my MacBook in this way all the time - works like a dream. I have the MacBook closed, connected to a Samsung monitor and an Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. It feels just like having a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.