Permanently magnify part of the screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Don.Key, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Don.Key macrumors regular

Hello,

Could someone please point me to utility which allows to permanently magnify a part of the screen?

All utilities which I have seen until now magnify what is under cursor but I really need to have a enlarged view of fixed screen area, regardless of where my cursor is.

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Huh? Do you want it magnified and still be able to see the rest of the screen? If so, good luck, never heard of anything like that.

If you just want it to stay zoomed on a particular spot, open System Preferences, and go to Universal Access -> Zoom -> Options and choose "When zoomed in, the screen image moves: Only when pointer reaches an edge." I think that's the closest you can get with any solution I know of.

jW

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Change the resolution? :eek:

Computers have come a long way, but what you are asking is ridiculously advanced. I can't imagine any computer on the market being able to do something like that.

What are you trying to zoom? Maybe there is another solution to your problem other than zooming the screen.

4. Don.Key thread starter macrumors regular

Well,

I have a rather exotic Java Application which uses VERY small fonts to display the text. Unfortunately I have to monitor this text very closely.
    This, paired with 30" Screen makes it very painful experience.

Unfortunately I am not in control of Java Source code and cannot change the fonts.

Since window is always positioned in one spot on my screen, I was hoping to find some kind of magnifying tool which would allow me to specify an area on the screen and magnify it.

I mean, it should not be THAT hard, such tools exist but they all follow your cursor and magnify area under it.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The difficulty is not really in question. It's more about whether or not something like that exists. I've never seen a need for this and I believe many others would agree. However, I can see your need for it. Perhaps you know of some developer that might be able to create it for you?

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have to agree here- while it would not seem out of the question from a technical standpoint, it would probably be more of a "size of the potential user base" issue.

One thing that hit me was since those utilities that magnify the screen under the cursor do something along the lines of what you are seeking, perhaps communicating with the developers of those apps might get you some info as to whether they happen to know of an app to meet your needs or if they would entertain developing something simple to your specs if they were paid to develop it. Just a thought as they would probably be your best hope.