Permanently marking case for security?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Allgonquin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Allgonquin macrumors newbie

My son has a newly acquired 13" white Macbook, which he's taking to school soon. There will be lots of other Macbooks at his school, and we know from past experience that the occasional theft does occur.

While I know it's probably heresy, I'd like to be able to mark the case of his computer permanently, first to easily be able to identify it amongst the other computers which will be around and about, and second for security purposes, so that someone who picks it up with the idea of theft might pass it up in favor of a lower hanging fruit, so to speak.

Since these computers look so nice, we don't want to just hack the case with a security engraver, etc. and I'm looking for something more permanent than stickers or Sharpies. And we're thinking of only marking the bottom. I know I could send it out for having it professionally engraved, but I'm hoping to hear some ideas for doing it at home, where I'm reasonably well equipped, tool wise.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rgds,
    Allgonquin

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

All of my tools are engraved by me with a hand held engraver. I have used the same engraver to engrave plastic, though not a MB. With a steady hand, and if you mark it out with a thin marker or pencil first, it can look pretty professional. Just do it somewhere that you will not be bumped or disturbed. That is what usually made my engravings look sloppy.

Other things that would not be physical but could help for theft:

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/
    http://www.foozoodesign.com/lockdown.html

Another option would be some sort of RDF chip you put inside the case of the laptop. Though that may be a bit extreme, and would not be visible.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I have not done this myself, but it seems logical to engrave it inside the battery compartment. Wouldn't spoil looks, plus if the battery is removed the engraving is still there.

I'm Dan, and I approve this message.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My friends look after my stuff and I look after theirs.

I engrave some stuff with a carbide tip.

5. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i dont think marking it physically would be the way to go unless you make it hideous to where no one wants to steal it. (put a big dell sticker on it) LOL j/k

the best way at getting the computer back would be to use software that can help you locate the laptop.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/11/stolen-laptop-recovered-with-back-to-my-mac/
    Back to my Mac isn't intended for this purpose but the results were positive.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS718LL/A
    sold at apple stores and online

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You can set a firmware password that prevents erasing the hard drive.

8. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

lol

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

I had my MacBook laser etched. The white ones don't look that great when laser etched (it looks a dull brownish yellow), but it's worth a shot if you do ever consider it.

My laptop sticks out like a sore thumb everywhere, plus everyone knows its mine and it's prolly less likely to be stolen because it's so unique and unremovable (short of replacing the entire plastic casing). Better yet, you could get the name on there so it's even more obvious.

[​IMG]

Also, all the products like Undercover are sort of useless, there are some ways to get past some of their protections, and in general you're not going to have much luck getting it back if you lose it (vs. someone explicitly stealing it). I suggest getting laptop insurance if the laptop isn't going to be covered by your homeowners or similar insurance. It's fairly cheap and covers more possible scenarios.

10. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'd agree with putting some additional stuff in the battery compartment for this very reason, but they'd still want something on the outside case to act as an obvious deterrent.

11. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Best advice yet. Simple.

12. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i was thinking the same thing, but having it where it is not visible isnt going to help on a university campus. It would take a very large man to take my laptop, and rip out my battery without me interfering.

13. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Get it painted at www.colorwarepc.com and put undercover on and ur name on the back
    best bet

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since the firmware password is stored on the HDD, taking the drive out and wiping it will leave one with a blank computer. ;)

15. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Criminal mind ^^^

16. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

great idea...

i am thinking of getting my MacBook painted after my warranty runs out.

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i may get my Air painted and when i pic up a new MBP and iPhone i will get them painted prolly too

I makes it unique so it will not be stolen

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

do you know if their painting technique will cover up any of the small scratches that the macbooks are prone to?

19. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yes they will cover up small ones if u mean if u send urs in

but if u buy one from them it will be very hard to scratch (and of course after it is coated if u send it in)

20. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

thanks </hijack>

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

I checked that site; their base fee is $450 for color on a macbook. It's hardly worth paying that kind of money to deter theft. Insurance would be cheaper.

22. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

but it makes it look cool too

23. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You could always do something like this. :D Will only cost you like $50 in parts. And is reversable too.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A new keyboard, top case, and display bezel will cost a lot more than $50!

25. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah like 250