Permanently Mounting multiple shared drives

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by donatello rage, Mar 3, 2009.

1. donatello rage macrumors newbie

Heres my problem

I have multiple shared harddrives(from different computers) mostly all windows computers i have file sharing enabled... and i also have tera stations I also have the ip addresses to all of these yet i cant even temporarily mount some of the shared harddrives.

heres my next problem each of these drives/tera stations are also mounted on the pcs and they have names that we identfy them with i.e. Tera 1 Tera 2 and i want to PERMANENTLY mount these on my computer each time i log in with the correct alias and yea i know i can drag the disk to login items and make an alias etc but i was also wondering if i could mount these using directory utiliity? because im having a difficulty when it asks for mount location

PLEASEEE HELPP!!!

one of the computers doesnt show up under network yet when i run my virtual machine of windows i can connect to the drive via ip(it also doesnt show up under my network places in windows.)

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I know under classic Mac OS there was a checkbox where you could choose to mount a disk at startup. I haven't seen it in OSX though.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go all the way to the volumes level, (Command+UPArrow).

Drag the volumes into System preferences / accounts /startup items.

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

One way is to use AutoMountMaker. This generates little script files you can then add to the autorun list for your profile.

Another way is to add it to the automount list in /etc/fstab. This'll mount it system-wide. To do this, add an entry like:
    Code:
    machinename:sharename x url net,automounted,url==cifs://username:password@machinename/sharename 0 0
    Replace 'machinename', 'sharename', 'username', and 'password' as appropriate.

A couple downsides to this approach are:
    * Your password is stored as plaintext. Not so bad if you're the only one on the machine, but still a concern.
    * It'll mount and unmount automatically. So, say, if you have all your music on a network share, and you leave iTunes idle for a while, when you click 'play' it might not be able to find a file because it hasn't yet remounted the share. (and if anyone knows a way to avoid that, I'd very much like to know.)
    * The share won't show up on your desktop; it'll be accessible from /Network/Servers/machinename/sharename. This may or may not be desirable.