Permanently or Semi-Permanently Fixed Car Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

i have a Promount and it's great, but expensive and the support I've got has not exactly been great. I'm wondering if there are other similar style mounts available. I don't want a suction cup mount, stick on mount, vent mont, etc. I want something more permanent, not screwed down permanent, but like the promount. Fit to the vehicle and doesn't move or fall.

2. Paco II macrumors 65816

When you say promount are you referring to ProClip? That's what I use and they are perfect. What problems have you had?

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Sorry, yes I meant ProClip. And I'm not having any real problems, just wanted to check out the options. The mount in my current vehicle kind of puts the phone in front of the stereo, so you can't really see the stereo well. They offer adapters that you can move the phone a couple inches up-and-down or left and right. But they want $10 a piece. The only problem that I had is that their support appears to be outsourced, so you do not get good replies. It's like they don't understand what you're asking them.

4. Paco II macrumors 65816

My few interactions with them for support were via email, and it was very easy. Needed a new block (part that cable attaches to) and they quickly mailed me one.

In terms of positioning, I totally understand. In my car the position is great. But if you do not like where it mounts, not much can be done.

I do not like magnetic mounts, and have not found anything as 'solid' and versatile as ProClio mounts, but hopefully someone can make a recommendation.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I needed the same piece one time because the plastic clip that holds it in broke, that time they did get back to me quickly and mailed me a new one for free. That was awesome. I've emailed them a couple other times and I get strange answers that don't make sense, I needed the same piece one time because the plastic clip that holds it in broke, that time they did get back to me quickly and mailed me a new one for free. That was awesome. I've emailed them a couple other times and I get strange answers that don't make sense, like that and the language makes me think it's outsourced to someone that doesn't really understand. Also when I asked them three questions to email me back with half an answer to one of the questions, completely ignoring the other ones. It just makes me fairly certain that they don't do their own support.
    That and the language makes me think it's outsourced to someone that doesn't really understand. Also when I asked them three questions to email me back with half an answer to one of the questions, completely ignoring the other ones. It just makes me fairly certain that they don't do their own support.

I'm in the same boat as you though, the mounts are actually awesome, and I haven't found anything near as good. I wanted to move mine, they do have a different option which I ordered, plus now they have a mount that holds the Belkin play and charger adapter, they didn't have that when the iPhone 7 first came out. One of my questions was if I could exchange my other one for even a partial credit, they won't do anything once it's open. So I just spent $100 to get an adapter for the same phone, in the same car, just to move it a little bit and make it a little easier. I just wish they weren't so expensive, but I use it every day, so it's worth it to me to have what I want

6. Paco II macrumors 65816

eBay your old one. Assuming it's in good shape, they hold their value.

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Good idea, I was going to maybe throw it up here and see if someone was interested also. Thanks

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

This is the view I get. It kind of rubs me the wrong way that they want me to pay almost $20 for a little piece of plastic that would make it fit the vehicle better. The adapter I ordered for an additional $40 moves it to the other vent and down 2 inches. I'm thinking that will be a little nicer.

Attached Files:

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depending on your make/model/year, Panavise may have a vehicle mount that has standard mount holes which include those compatible with ProClip. I actually prefer their vehicle mounts over ProClip if available.

There are certainly other companies out there as well such as RAM, etc. Don't overlook existing discussions as a resource. The companies that have a large selection of mounts for vehicles tend to have been around for quite some time and it's rare that new ones pop up.

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'll check out Panavise. Just liked I checked existing discussions:). 99% of them only talk about suction cup mount, vent mounts, and other simple solutions that I wasn't looking for.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Panavise looks like a great option. I never could remember where I got it from, but a couple years ago I had one for my Honda Element. They want $33 + $13 for shipping though, even more expensive. I was ready to pay the $32, but $13 for shipping is crazy.