Permanently Securing Magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clint Barton, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Clint Barton macrumors newbie

Hello all! I have a 2007 Macbook Pro that I have laying around due to a powercord failure on the magsafe. I've decided to try and turn the mac into a media computer on our large tv, however if the magsafe disconnects the computer loses power and dies immediately. So, is anyone aware of a way to secure the magsafe permanently? I know this reeks of problematic issues, but any help is great. thanks!

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

3. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

magsafe is a wonderful idea

You could "noose" & a rubber band or hair tie around the cord and stretch it around the book's closed casing.

However, the fist time you trip over or knock the rig to the floor, you'll wish you didn't. (Broken adapter jacks are/were the most often cause for repair.)

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm assuming it's the older version of the MagSafe since it's a 2007 model. The one that's more of a "box" than a silver connector that's flush with the side. If it's the latter, securing that is a lot easier since it's flat and flush with the side. The other one, you should relieve some of the strain on the cord by leaving some slack rather none at all. You can try masking tape since it's the easiest to take off and doesn't leave much of a residue. Just make sure to tape it all the way around, not just in the area. Or you can use a really big binder clip, but that may prevent you from closing the lid. Or what the other posters said.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Ya, just don't pull or trip over the cord lol.

6. eron macrumors 6502

There are many non-invasive methods as suggested above...

If you really want a permanent method, at the same time feel cool about trying out a new product, check out:

http://sugru.com/

[​IMG]

7. Fatt macrumors member

A tiny dab of JB weld on the actual magnet would hold it in place quite well, and the surfaces being so smooth you should be able to twist it apart in the future if need be. You would have to be extremely careful, to only use enough for good adhesion and not too much that it would ooze into the center contact. Using a tooth pick, I would put a tiny spec on each end of the magnet, and no more. While JB weld does have metal particles in it, it's actually not conductive. So should be relatively safe to use, but as always use caution. An elastic band like others mentioned would be the safest option.

8. Clint Barton thread starter macrumors newbie

JB weld! great idea! The idea is for the main body to be stored away obviously, whilst not having the power cord be an issue. On a newer note, is anyone aware of a program or something that will allow the computer to operate without the display being open?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes. Not so sure about resale value.

Attached Files: